Findmall.com

Lagniappe (Views)

Welcome! Log In Register
An Institution is going down
Posted by: CW
Date: November 08, 2011 01:14PM
Even those of you who don't give a hoot about college football will recognize the name Joe Paterno. He is arguably the greatest man ever to coach the game.
He turned out some of the best players ever to put on the pads over the past 46 years. He is revered by his former players, his fellow coaches, and the sports media. Yet, within the next few hours, days, or weeks he is going to lose his job as head coach of the Nittany Lions of Penn State, not because of something he did, but because of what he did not do. A former assistant coach was indicted on forty or so counts of child molestation over the weekend, and the Athletic Director and another high level faculty member have been arrested for lying to a grand jury and impeding a police investigation. Joe Paterno is caught up in the middle of this because it is a known fact that he was aware of problems as long as eight or nine years ago. He went to the AD with whatever he knew, but it ended there. Now the state attorney general has the ball and he's not going to stop digging until all the facts are out on the table. The ESPN sports experts are unanimous in their comments about who knew what , when did they know it, and what did they do to bring it to a stop. While Coach Paterno is not even remotely tied to any of the abuse charges, he is in the middle of a firestorm over the perception that he did nothing to bring the abuse to a stop. This is going to rock the world of college sports to its very core....chances are that the President of Penn State will go, as will the Chancellor, the Athletic Director and his staff plus the entire football coaching staff. Instead of a first round vote into the College Football Hall of Fame, Coach Paterno could very well go out like Pete Rose in the baseball betting scandal. All of this is happening because a few people at the top wanted everything covered up and not brought out into the light of day. The reputations of dozens of very capable people are going to be forever tarnished because of the need to protect one or two of the guilty. The cat is out of the bag now, and it won't be long until the firings and resignations start taking place.
Now why would CW bring this up on a motorcycle riding forum, you ask? "Mongo not know. Mongo only pawn in game of life."
CW

Re: An Institution is going down
Posted by: redneck cowboy
Date: November 08, 2011 02:52PM
It is absolutely terrible that the lives of several kids were forever damaged to protect the game of football. I thought that kids were supposed to come first. I think whoever knew about it and didnt try and stop it deserve what they get. If that includes Paterno then so be it

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown

Posted by: missourimike
Date: November 08, 2011 03:31PM
Whoever thinks a football, or any sports, program in High School, Colleges, or Universities is designed for student improvement needs to step outside the program and look at the whole. Football is the money making business of a school, the other programs are there due to Federal mandated rules designed to placify minority groups. No, I'm not talking "color" of a group. The Coach is usually the highest paid "teacher" in the whole system. University coaches contracts are in the Million$. Coaches, for the most part, use schools and outstanding atheletes as stepping stones to a higher paid, more lucrative job. Paterno is one of the few that has been able to pull an athelete up to their potential, rather than push them. Kinda like a General that can actually lead, rather than force his army to victories. Of course it helps if there is an outstanding Recruiter Program, bringing in the fodder for the School Cannon.
Of course this is all just my a-hole opinion and counts for a much. I never got suckered into the idea that sports would make me a better person. Never did help me out in Center Field.
On another note...I have nothing against Penn State. I was named after Michael Bobovsky, my father's BFF and a Penn State All-American Football Player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 03:35PM by missourimike.

Posted by: Gypsy
Date: November 08, 2011 04:53PM
I can forsee another thread going very badly if we are not careful. This is an extremely sensitive subject and to much bantering could lead to bad blood. We are all different and look at different aspects of things. I can only have sympothy for the children involved, they are the ones who had no voice, as adults we all have the right and the responsibility to do more.

Posted by: okietriker
Date: November 08, 2011 06:18PM
:thumbup: You go gypsy!

Words are like feathers shaken from a pillow in the wind...
you never know how far they go and you can never collect them all back!

Date: November 08, 2011 07:33PM
Gypsy...please believe me that I was not bantering or making light of a tragic situation. The tragedy unfolding at Penn State is far from over and I suspect more high level university officials are on their way out along with Coach Paterno and probably his entire staff. Right now I believe 9 young men have come forward with their stories of abuse at the hands of the assistant coach nearly 12 years ago. One incident was seen by a graduate assistant, was reported to Paterno who was the head coach, and Paterno advised the Athletic Director. That was all that happened. No one followed up, no one stepped up to protect the kids, and the assistant stayed on until another report of abuse came about in 2002. Now that the incidents have become public knowledge and the state is investigating to the fullest extent, the spotlight is on Joe Paterno and his failure to do anything beyond a phone call to the AD. NCAA football is probably the biggest money maker in sports today. A Division 1 coach normally makes more than the president of the university if he can win half the games on the schedule. Eventually the entire story will come out, but on the surface it looks like a lot of people failed in their moral responsibilities by doing nothing.
CW

Date: November 08, 2011 08:38PM
These were not Penn State football kids if I heard right. These were much younger kids. This is just a sad situation.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown

Posted by: yttocs
Date: November 08, 2011 09:21PM
Date: November 08, 2011 09:52PM
Cowboy....you are correct. The children who were abused by the ex assistant coach were young boys who were already at risk, and if I understand the situation as reported, were taking part in some kind of activity (football camp maybe??) being sponsored by The Second Mile Foundation which was started by the assistant coach. I have not seen the contents of the grand jury indictment that the ESPN people were waving around, but it sounds like the guy was a sexual predator of the highest order. Given that a graduate student assistant saw this man and one of the boys in the shower room together and reported it to Paterno right away, there is no way that the head coach was not aware that something was going on.The point I was trying to get across was that ignoring problems, no matter how unpleasant they may be, will eventually come back and bite you in the ass. Ignoring problems don't make them go away....they just scab over and the infection keeps on spreading.
CW

Date: November 08, 2011 10:49PM
I agree CW. If I came across as upset or something I apologize. I just cant understand why people would do this to protect a football program. It just doesnt make sense

Date: November 09, 2011 02:45PM
I've had a couple of inquiries to ask if I was defending Joe Paterno's lack of action.....I most definitely was NOT. His lack of action and lack of making sure that the proper authorities were immediately notified back as far 1998 is inexcuseable and he must be held accountable. According to the latest off ESPN the investigation is now looking at who in the PSU administration knew what and when did they know it. The abuse of the boys continued on for several years with the defensive coordinator staying on with Paterno who had to know what was going on. The president of the school will be out by this afternoon. His part was to tell the alleged sexual predator that he could no longer bring the boys on campus for the "football schools"...so he also condoned the actions. Before this is over, a lot of people in Happy Valley are going to be out of a job and with that kind of blot on your resume it won't be easy to find another one.
CW

Date: November 09, 2011 04:16PM
Rumor has it that Paterno is retiring at the end of the season. It has also been said that a detective has cleared Paterno of any legal wrong doing since he did notify the athletic director when he was told by someone else what was going on. Now there is still alot of investigating to do so it may come down to charges against Paterno also but it doesnt look like any will be as of now. Now morally did he go far enough? Absolutely not. I am not defending him in any way. I am not in charge of this case because if I was anyone who was involved would swing from the nearest tree by parts of their anatomy that I will not mention. Like I said there is still alot of investigation to go. Who knows where it will stop.
This will affect the school for a while to come. Even after all involved are gone and serving their punishments.

Posted by: missourimike
Date: November 09, 2011 06:02PM
No rumor about Paterno retiring after this season ends. I read his Statement, and he said he was sorry he didn't do more or follow through with what he had reported to the School Admistrators. As for a Detective saying he was off the hook.....Cops don't bring charges or are the prosecutors in criminal cases. That's up to the DA, PA, or whoever takes them to court.

Date: November 09, 2011 10:27PM
Just came on the news that Paterno doesnt have a choice when he leaves. They fired him

Posted by: yttocs
Date: November 10, 2011 12:50AM
GOOD--seen it on the news

Date: November 10, 2011 09:02AM
Both Paterno and the University president were fired last night. I have a feeling this is not over by a long shot. Now the Feds are involved and they are looking at three areas of possible criminal liability in violation of civil rights, violation of failure to report possible criminal activity on the campus, and some other area where Federal law(s) may have been violated. I wonder if Joe Paterno at age 84 fully realizes what has happened and the consequences that could follow beyond being let go by the University.
CW

Date: November 10, 2011 06:04PM
I am sure his lawyer has advised him. He probably had his lawyer on the phone before the story ever broke. I agree that this still has a long way to go before it starts to calm down. I am sure there are several people employed by Penn State that are sweating bullets waiting to hear if they are next on the list to be fired. Hell, they probably are not answering their phones

Date: November 10, 2011 07:26PM
When the governor of the state gets involved, there is something they know that has not yet come out on the news. I have a feeling that the real bombshell has yet to be dropped....just have to wait and see.
CW

Date: November 11, 2011 02:39PM
What still bothers me is the fact that all the attention is on Paterno getting fired. The real criminals name doesnt even come up anymore. To the media, Paterno getting canned is more important than the kids who were abused. Something doesnt sit right with me about that. I understand that Paterno has been there for 46 years. But these kids' lives have been changed forever. Thats alot longer than 46 years. I also understand that alot of the details can not be talked about because of the ongoing investigation. It just saddens me that Paterno's firing is bigger news than what the root cause is.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: November 14, 2011 07:52AM
I have a feeling that when the perpetrator is arraigned and more details come out, the media interest will once again flare up.Paterno is gone and won't be coming back anywhere, and there's nothing that will change that. Once the sports media milks that story for all they can, they will move on. It's the nature of the business. This is not the first time that a coach has been fired for improprieties that he personally was not involved in, and odds are good that it won't be the last. However, this one was the biggest and the bar has been set for not taking action when action should have been taken years ago. The civil lawsuits that will stem from this probably should be televised live on the Jerry Springer show....lots of money is going to change hands before its over.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login