Findmall.com

Fish, Fur & Fowl Recipes

Welcome! Log In Register
Smoking
Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: March 08, 2006 05:59PM
Do we have any smoker experts? I just inherited a very nice smoker and am looking to get started using it. May start with my pheasants. Any ideas?

Re: Smoking
Date: March 12, 2006 04:10PM
Smoke Hollow, my daughter won it, they have the same model at Bass Pro, looks like a pretty good one, I ordered a cookbook and can't wait to get started.

Posted by: MnWalleyeGuy
Date: March 13, 2006 10:47AM
I like to smoke a good cigar while drinking a cocktail when on my deck.

I do have a smoker. All I can tell you, is trial and error is the best way to learn how your smoker will work.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: March 17, 2006 07:31AM
wru....this might be a good time to look around the Springfield area and try to find some apple or peach trees that were damaged in the storms. Fruit wood gives excellent flavor to smoked meats, especially wild fowl. If you have any orchards close by, that might be a good place to look. The owners will be pruning broken limbs and throwing them away or burning them....what a waste! My favorite is apple wood, which I use when smoking a wild turkey, but peach and other fruit woods work great...just a matter of personal preference. Just make sure you soak it in water before exposing it to the fire. You want smoke, not flame. We have a lot of persimmon trees up here...never have tried it for smoking meat, but it should work. Might try it on some burgers before unleashing it on the good stuff.
CW

Date: March 19, 2006 01:45PM
My dad used to use a little bit of everything, peach, apple. I prefer plain old hickory. Although you can definately tast the sweetness from those other woods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login