Findmall.com

Fish, Fur & Fowl Recipes

Welcome! Log In Register
Homemade Pastrami
Posted by: hippochick39
Date: January 12, 2011 08:36PM
Homemade Pastrami
The length of time that it has to cure depends on the size of the cut. All that's required during this time is turn it over at least once a day.

Homemade Pastrami Dry Cure Mix

Black pepper and coriander are the primary flavors of pastrami and as soon as you get a sniff of this mixture your brain is going to shout "PASTRAMI"!!

1/4 cup Morton Tender Quick (In the salt aisle of most grocery stores)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
2 TBSP granulated garlic
2 TBSP coriander

Combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. This is enough for a 4lb. flat cut brisket. (mine was 6lbs. so I made 1 1/2 the mixture)
Pour half of the dry cure on one side of the brisket, rubbing it evenly over the surface and the edges, then repeat on the other side. It will seem like way too much cure to use, but it's not~~use it ALL!

Do not shake off the excess cure. Place the brisket in a 2 gallon Ziploc bag(I wrapped mine in plastic wrap, as I couldn't find that big of a ziploc) then lay it out flat on a rimmed cookie/baking sheet and refrigerate for 5 days for each inch of thickness.

My particular brisket was about 2 inches thick so mine should have cured 10 days, but due to rain I cured it 13 days, which didn't hurt it at all. Just be sure to turn it once a day.

There is a final rub to put on the brisket before you smoke it and there is no need to rinse this brisket before you smoke it.

Apply the Pastrami Cooking Rub before putting it on the smoker.

Cooking Rub
3 TBSP Freshly ground black pepper, slightly coarse grind
1 tsp freshly ground coriander seeds, slightly coarse grind
1 tap granulated garlic

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Apply a generous amount of rub to all surfaces of the meat. More than you would for normal barbecue.
Meat is now ready for the smoker.
Place it fat side down and cook to 165 degrees.
When it is done, wrap in aluminum foil and place fat side up in unheated oven for 2 hours.
Carryover hear will continue to cook the pastrami and juices collecting in the foil will reabsorb and redistribute within the meat. Putting the fat side up helps to soften the meat.
Pastrami is now ready for sandwiches, however an overnight rest in the fridge won't hurt anything.
That little 1/8" of fat doesn't even need to be trimmed away before eating, in fact it adds a lot of flavor also.
If you have a meat slicer~slice it very thin and enjoy!

I'm here on Earth to HAVE FUN!!

Re: Homemade Pastrami
Posted by: yttocs
Date: January 12, 2011 11:20PM
I printed your recipe off and may try it this coming spring.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: January 17, 2011 03:24PM
Thanks, Chick.....I got a brisket to smoke while the kids were here and we never got around to it. I have a package of salt cure from when I last made jerky and maybe even the coriander seeds, so maybe I can get the rub assembled and get started on the meat cure. If mine comes out even half as good as
what Dave brought to the PGR service in Seymour, I will be one happy camper.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: rhomp2002
Date: February 13, 2011 03:50PM
I was sharing this with a friend and he mentioned that he has a Cajun smoker and would like to try this. His smoker does not have a temperature control so he would like to have some idea of how long it takes to do the smoking. Ball park figures would be fine. Also he has walnut, apple and mesquite wood available. I said I thought probably mesquite would be best although apple might work well also. He also has oak available but I didn't think that would work as well. He was concerned about taking the cover off and on and losing the smoke which was why he wanted to get an idea of the time.

Posted by: Ozarksoutlaw
Date: February 13, 2011 04:59PM
I smoked mine with hickory at 210 degrees in a Masterbuilt smoker. I think it took about 8 hours to get the internal temp to 165 degrees, but I don't remember exactly, Beerman will prolly know. This is a great recipe!!!:thumbup:

If I'd a knowed I was gonna live this long I'd a took better care of myself.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

Posted by: Beerman
Date: February 13, 2011 09:49PM
I smoked mine at a bout 220 in a Masterbuilt 40 which is insulated and holds the temp pretty steady it took about 4-5 hours. Just have him stick it with a meat thermometer in about 4 hours and not to cook it over the 165. We just did a second one and it was as good if not better than the first. I used mesquite and hickory mix of wood chips for the smoke. He can also get an oven thermometer and stick it in his smoker to watch and control the temp. I am going to lower my temp to where Shawn cooked his to about 210 next time to cook a little longer.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall @#$%& the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with blood of tyrants and patriots" --- Thomas Jefferson.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ---Ronald Reagan

Posted by: vtxokie
Date: February 15, 2011 08:25AM
Oak will work very well. DON'T USE WALNUT!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login