Findmall.com

Fish, Fur & Fowl Recipes

Welcome! Log In Register
smoked fish
Posted by: bullitt
Date: February 19, 2010 06:51PM
Do any of you have any success smoking walleye or crappie? I think I want to try it, but I would like to learn from the experience of others if possible.
If you smoke fish, please post up the particulars.

Re: smoked fish
Posted by: lundone
Date: February 19, 2010 07:34PM
Tried it a couple times last summer. Found that they had to be checked often to keep from over cooking but they were delicious. Hopefully someone on here has a lot more experience than I at smoking fish.

" Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither."

Posted by: foggy324
Date: February 19, 2010 07:53PM
You need to use fish that have more oils in them, not flaky white meat. Thats one of the reasons ,up north they use white fish. I'd try bass or carp down here. Maybe even big suckers of some kind. Catfish even would be better than walleye or crappie I'd think. Just my 2 cents..Gregg

PS. or really big papers!!!

Date: February 19, 2010 09:14PM
The Big Bambu! :smoke:

Date: February 20, 2010 08:08AM
Also smoke the fish with the skin on , helps hold the moisture in. When it's done the skin will come right off. Gregg

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: February 20, 2010 10:32AM
White bass or stripers are good in the smoker.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: February 20, 2010 05:30PM
Thanks everyone. I have some flathead in the freezer that I may try, or I may keep some KY's and try the skin on treatment.
Bring on the Old Bay!

Date: February 20, 2010 08:06PM
I read an article this morning on smoking fish, it said to make sure your filets are nice and dry after taking out of the brine , said it kind of seals the outside so it keeps more moisture in..they put them in front of a fan for an hour..

Date: February 20, 2010 09:07PM
I planned on putting them in front of a fan, but I doubt if they last an hour. :biggrin:

Posted by: Tablerock
Date: February 25, 2010 08:24AM
My experience is that a little smoke goes a long way. And, as mentioned, over-cooking can be a problem if you're not paying attention.........:rofl:

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"

T. Jefferson

Posted by: hntgman
Date: March 24, 2010 06:33PM
ihave never found any papers large enough that worked

Posted by: powerdive
Date: March 24, 2010 07:03PM
Hntgman, try the smaller fish. As TR or someone (I kinda forget who) said, a little smoke goes a long way. Well, it did in my case.:biggrin:

Reel in more customers.

Posted by: Magnus89
Date: February 11, 2013 11:48AM
Hello Guys i think that Smoked fish are those fish that have been treated by smoking.The most common kinds of smoked fish in the US are salmon,whitefish and trout.Although other smoked fish is also available domestically or from many cultural shops. Salmon, mackerel are globally available both hot-smoked and cold-smoked, while most other fish is typically maintained by only one of the smoking techniques.Thanks a lot!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login