Findmall.com

Fish, Fur & Fowl Recipes

Welcome! Log In Register
Processing Your Own Venison
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: October 19, 2005 09:07AM
While most of us probably take the harvest of a successful hunt to the nearest wild game processor, quite a few like to work with the carcass to maximize the care the meat receives before it goes in the freezer. For years I experienced a liver like "wild taste" in my venison. Then a fine sportsman named Ernie Wells, who many of us know as "Plastic Man" showed me how to REALLY take care of a deer carcass so that it has no wild taste at all. I would like to share that with you guys:
(1) as soon as possible after field dressing the deer, remove the hide to facilitate cooling. The quicker this is done, the less chance of meat spoilage. Deer hide is a very efficient insulator and holds body heat in the meat for several days if not removed.
(2) with the hide off, rinse out the body cavity of all small pieces of bone chips, blood clots, and anything else that might taint the meat. At the top of this list is deer hair, so rinse off every single hair you find stuck to the meat.
(3)weather permitting, hang the carcass from the head end so that the hind feet are off the ground. This should be done inside an enclosed area such as a barn or garage, but if you don't have that, a strong tree limb will work. The deer may get some dust on the outer surface, but that is easily dealt with. If the weather is cool enough, let the deer hang for two or three days. This allows blood to drain from the body and also forms a "crust: on the carcass. while all this is going on, enzyme activity within the meat cells are working to break down the tough connective tissue and tenderize the meat.
(4) when you are ready to actually butcher your meat, here is where Ernie's method is radically different from what most people do...remove the back straps with a very sharp knife (a good fish filet knife is perfect) and place the fresh filets in a small tub or barrel deep enough to completely cover the meat with COLD slowly running water. If you look closely you will see tiny clouds of blood begin to leach out of the meat and trickle over the top of the container. Let the meat stay in the slowly changing water until it is gray color throughout. This means the excess blood has been removed, along with any pieces of deer hair that might have been stuck in the crust. Repeat this process with the large hams and any other pieces off the deer. The backstraps will usually clear themselves of blood in a day or less. Overnight in the trickle bath usually does the trick for me. You end up with a pair of perfect filets with the crust on the outside edge. When you begin to cut up the filets into butterflies or whatever, use the thin blade filet knife and carefull slice off the crust. What you end up with looks like it came from the deli section of the store. Repeat this process with your other cuts. The important thing is to leach out the blood and float any stray pieces of hair off the meat and over the top of the container. Hope this helps somebody this season.
CW

PMan....if you see this and I left anything critical out, feel free to jump in and make any necessary corrections to the process.

Re: Processing Your Own Venison
Posted by: mizfishr
Date: October 19, 2005 03:58PM
The Fisher agrees with that completely with one addition. Cut off ALL fat. Especially the tallow. The fat holds a bad taste. Get rid of it.

Date: October 19, 2005 09:21PM
Yes....the fat (tallow) has to go, but I do that as I make the individual cuts off the hams or other pieces. When I make jerky, I even remove all the thin silvery coating on each muscle. After using a Jerky Shooter for two years, I don't think I will ever go back to the chunk type jerky. The Shooter is just way too uniform, which makes for better drying, and the grinder removes even more of the tendon pieces and the silvery stuff that I might miss. Maybe it's just me, but when I get a piece of tendon from a regular piece of jerky stuck in my teeth out on the stand, it drives me nuts trying to get it out. The ground venison in the Jerky Shooter is normally extremely uniform in texture, which helps make the spices blend in uniformly. You can also use it to make flat pieces (like bacon) or a Slim Jim type stick.
CW

Posted by: powerdive
Date: October 20, 2005 01:29PM
Why mess with all that? Just turn the whole durn thing into summer sausage, I say. Meat, tendons, hair, Lyme ticks, bullet pieces, whatever--all part of the fun.

Aren't ya glad I don't hunt?

Date: October 20, 2005 06:18PM
Are you saying that those two packs of backstraps were turned into summer sausage? Due to numerous misdeeds in my life, I am well known to the Devil, and he has a special corner of his domain for people who do that to prime backstrap. It's 40 degrees hotter and the prodding pitchforks are much sharper and more painful. It would be painful for me to see you suffer eternal punishment over mistreatment of venison.....:rage
Well, I'll be dang....the Smiley box came up in French and a bunch of the icons were missing. Those French will steal anything...
CW

Date: October 20, 2005 09:18PM
Devils make good HOT summer sausage. Gotta see this smiley thing...:rant

Yup, looks French to me!

Date: October 21, 2005 02:21PM
See....told you it was a French smiley box. It's been many a moon since I had any French speaking lessons, but I think that says something about the format of the font and more.
It looks almost the same inside the smiley box, so I guess we can figure it out.
CW

Date: October 21, 2005 06:37PM
AH, it's the weekend and I can play in this domain. What a deal. And French lessons to boot. WOW. Well, Lee and Adam will be joining us sighting in the guns so we are READY. Walleyegirl is bow hunting this weekend. PD, you will never process any deer here, dear. And I thought you liked venison chili? We will try to spare some ground with only a small amount of hair. Just for you. Hot suasage yum, but not by your recipe. No wonder smiley turned French. :shrug

Date: October 21, 2005 08:51PM
Just got back from the big Treasure Hunters potluck feed over at Mt Carmel. The jambalaya was everything promised and more. The bread and butter pickles disappeared quickly, too. In addition to the outstanding vittles, I now have Guvner's "thutty-thutty" Marlin rifle that needs some very minor TLC. I will have it cleaned, oiled, and the scope lined up by noon tomorrow. While he is out finding valuable old coins and rings tomorrow, I will be sighting in his Marlin 336. What a deal.
Since PD is not a Bambi eliminator, his blood thirsty friends have to keep him in wild protein. When the rifle season rolls around he may be looking at enough summer sausage fixins to last the next five years with the new unlimited doe tags in this unit.
There are a bunch of them out there munching away on those food plots.
CW

Date: October 23, 2005 08:45AM
This may be the year to invest in a new electric stuffer. We have one of the manual jobs that takes a couple scouts to help with, so maybe a new one will be order. Can't wait for the opener. We are ready. Skeeter J, how did the shooting go with Pete yesterday. I can't beleive we got stood up so you could shoot in up there. The locals here had one great feed down at the creek. Turkey, FRESH venison and some pork. Lots of chili made with last years venison. There was a trail ride. the only thing missing was the "pickers" for music. Great day to be out. :drinking

Posted by: Skeeter Jr.
Date: October 23, 2005 01:14PM
It went good, he has a good shooting spot out at his ranch i finally was shooting a good group with dads 270,i hate the scope in there. I have my new gun on order should be here the first of the week. We didnt get to make it down to the hunting spot to scout it out. I think dad and Pete are going to take a look at it Friday. Had a great time out at his place yesterday. Nothing like Shooting Guns, and watching the hunting videos from his spot from the last few years.

Date: October 23, 2005 01:16PM
Mizfisher, are you referring to Nasal Norman and the Nine NosePICKERS?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login