Findmall.com

Bow Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Scouting looks promising
Posted by: redneck cowboy
Date: July 24, 2011 08:51PM
I am new to the area this year and wasnt sure I would have a place to hunt. Thanks to a good friend north of Halfway, I have 80 acres to roam. I have scouted very little so far but I have put my deer cam up so we will see what that produces. I walked some of it yesterday evening and spotted 3 doe and a buck in the field. One doe and the buck walked right under where I hung my stand. My stand is right on a pond bank hanging on one of 6 persimmon trees. All the trees have fruit so this location is looking quite promising for the season. It will still work for the firearms portion because I have a tree line to the south of me but in all other directions its clover fields. I will post some pics once I start getting them on the camera.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown

Re: Scouting looks promising
Posted by: JnC
Date: July 24, 2011 09:13PM
Chuck hung a cam last weekend and can't wait to see what it shows. He was working on broadhead/arrow combinations today to get ready.He has to refletch some arrows that are making too much noise..:thumbup:

If life is a highway, I need a new map.

Date: July 25, 2011 05:23PM
I need to get up to the shop and see what kind of used bows they have. I am in desperate need of a newer one this year. Where my stand is, I have a good shot almost all the around the pond but my current bow just isnt adequate enough to reach out and touch them on the far side.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown

Posted by: foggy324
Date: July 26, 2011 03:12AM
Jeremy I've got an old Pearson 100lb.draw that I could let you borrow, it's left handed though!!! I shoot 2419 Easton arrows with a left hand twist,32inches I think..Has the fast flight system and maybe 30 % let off !!!!:punch::shrug::rofl::rofl:

Date: July 26, 2011 07:14PM
Thanks Foggy but I think I will stick with what I have if those are my 2 options. :rofl:

Date: July 26, 2011 10:25PM
I've got a Hoyt Kobalt you can use. It is a 60lb. bow and shootsclose to 300fps........But it has a 24 in. draw:crazy:

Date: July 27, 2011 03:26AM
I was just trying to build up his MUSCLE'S a little bit. I probably would have to sit on the ground and put it on my feet and use both hands to pull it now, but I use to shoot 4 indoor archery leagues a week and shot everyday all year round for awhile. 3 3-d leagues and a target league.I lived three blocks from the range for a couple of years and it was kinda a hangout for us night shifters.We'd get off work at 7:20 am and go down and shoot til noon everyday, seven days a week for over a year.

Date: July 28, 2011 03:07PM
Geeze!!! I complain about how much time Chuck spends playing with his sticks and strings!:suprised:

Date: July 28, 2011 08:22PM
Carolyn was either at work or sleeping, the joys of different shifts!!

Just because I have the right to remain silent, doesn't neccesarily mean I have the ability !!

Posted by: Beerman
Date: August 17, 2011 04:34PM
Jeremy, I also have a Hoyt Impulse Super Slam Compound you are welcome to borrow it is adjustable 55-70# with a 30 inch draw. Let me know if you would like to borrow it.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall @#$%& the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with blood of tyrants and patriots" --- Thomas Jefferson.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ---Ronald Reagan

Date: August 18, 2011 10:06PM
That would be fantastic Dave. Maybe I can pick itup Saturday? I really appreciate it.

Posted by: Beerman
Date: August 19, 2011 07:34AM
Yes, no problem!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall @#$%& the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with blood of tyrants and patriots" --- Thomas Jefferson.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ---Ronald Reagan

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: August 23, 2011 09:03AM
All this talk of bow hunting has me thinking about taking the old Horton Xbow out of the case and make sure the scope is still zeroe'd.....my primary stand is several hundred yards north of Cowboy's over the crest of the hill and down at the back pond, so we would never interfere with each other even in gun season.
The secondary stand is about 350 yards northeast of his at a gate crossing and the game cam on the gate post has been showing a lot of turkey and doe traffic through the open gate. Last week at sundown we observed two nice bucks feeding in the pasture along the south fence line, so as Jeremy said, the scouting looks good so far. My neighbor to the south is probably going to tear out the old wire fence between us and then fire up his big D6 Cat bulldozer and clear a new fencerow. That might happen right as bow season opens, but the deer will most likely move from that area (adjacent to a nice alfalfa hay field) back to the plot of woods where Cowboy's tree stand is located, so it could be a blessing in disguise. If the Gods who control bowhunting decide to smile on us, we might have some tasty venison chili to bring along to the Halloween bash at Roaring River......
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login