Findmall.com

Bow Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Halloween Morning Buck
Posted by: duckguy
Date: November 03, 2009 11:03AM
Had a great hunt last weekend! The day started out watching a majestic 10 pt working a scrape line going away from me. A couple of soft grunts turned him and had him coming back in my direction. As he slowly closed the gap in distance to my stand, his attention was drawn away looking down into a wooded ravine just 25 yrds shy of my post. He was just two steps short of clearing the limb that was keeping us from our final appointment. A couple of steps to his right, he disapeared into the ravine being swallowed up by the thicket.

For the next 10 minutes, my attention was completely focused on the corner of the CRP where it joined the wooded ravine. Movement to my opposite side drew my attention. A doe moving quickly along the fence line, blew past my first shooting lane with fawn in tow. Much to my delite, another form was moving in pursuit, following the same line of direction.

Much to my satisfaction, it was a mature buck following in pursuit trying to secure his rites for breeding. With only seconds to spare, I was able to reposition my bow to the opposite side of the tree. At 15 yards and closing, my bow barely drawn, the buck went right through my first shooting lane. The second shooting lane was established with only milliseconds to spare, the release was touched off, the arrow was in flight threading its way between the top two strands of barbed wire. Contact!!!! The arrow found its home right behind the left front shoulder.

The buck ran, going up the incline of the CRP. At 40 yards the buck started to make a circle. He then started going back in the opposite direction, lost his balance, and plunged to the earth finding his final resting place. He was down!!!!

The morning was completed by a smaller 5 pt buck that was in pusuit of the mature buck. The younger of the two stood in confusion looking back and forth between the buck that was laid to rest and the direction of the disapearing doe. He didn't know what to do. With time passing, the young buck decided to retreat back in the direction that he came.

This is not the best pic, but it is the only one that would fit do to file sizes.

duckguy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 06:42PM by duckguy.

Re: Halloween Morning Buck
Posted by: lundone
Date: November 04, 2009 11:39AM
Congratulations! What a great experience.

" Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither."

Posted by: Skeeter Jr.
Date: November 04, 2009 12:39PM
Nice Deer Congrats!

Posted by: Walleyedmike
Date: November 04, 2009 01:38PM
Nice deer Duckguy. Were you hunting in Iowa or Missouri?

WM

Posted by: duckguy
Date: November 04, 2009 05:07PM
We were hunting in Southern Iowa. I figured sinse I technically an "Iowa" resident, I might as well hunt there!!! LOL

I seen some real bruisers on the piece that we are hunting!!!

dale

Posted by: LCX-110
Date: November 04, 2009 08:53PM
Great buck!!!

Go Hogs!!!

Posted by: fcso1253
Date: November 05, 2009 11:30AM
Good buck congrats, like the arrow placement:thumbup:

Posted by: Tablerock
Date: November 05, 2009 12:59PM
Very nice !! Great play by play also....... :thumbup: You may have to change your handle to Buckguy.....lol

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"

T. Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login