Findmall.com

Bow Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Food Plots
Posted by: Skeeter Jr.
Date: December 21, 2008 05:26PM
Do any of you guys plant food plots? If so what kind? And what do u like to use best?

Lundone and I are looking into different things to plant for food plots next year. And to try to restore the herd. Just looking for some possibilites.

Thanks
Adam

Re: Food Plots
Posted by: LCX-110
Date: December 21, 2008 06:58PM
Adam I've been planning on posting some "Before and After pics of my plot I've just got to take some pics of the plot now in the "After stage" they cleaned it up........This was my first year to plant a plot and I'm hooked its kinda of consuming me like walleye fishing has...TV shows like QDMA I had no intrest in but now my DVR records it every week I can't get enough information about them............I planted an "Annual" which means it will only grow one time and you have to replant the next year........Anyways I used both Whitetail Insitiute of North America and Biologic.....The WINA was a product called "Pure Attraction" it has oats, winter peas, and a Brassica. The Biologic was called "Green Patch Plus" it was the same thing minus the peas...........The oats come up first for qucik attraction then the peas and Brassica come up next and the Brassica turns sweet after the first frost. So they don't touch it until cold weather and then they mowed it in less than two weeks my plot was just about 1/2 acre......The most important thing is soil test and be sure to add lime, lime is cheap very cheap it cost me $7.45 for a ton of lime now if you have a truck spread it then it will cost alot more but the lime it self is cheap........Maybe Jim has some kind of spreader on his farm you guys could use I'm going to try and get me one to hook to my tractor this year I spread it by hand last fall and that wasn't much fun........Lime will get the ph in your soil where it needs to be.........Get a soil test so you know what exactly and how much fertlizer and lime you need...........Having a Poultry farm I already had a soil test on hand...........I've already bought my seed for the 09 planting........This spring I'm planting Alfa- Rack plus(the plus is imperial whitetail clover) it is a pernnial and should last 3-5yrs with one planting and will definently put some Brassica's out in the fall......http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/alfap/

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/pure/

If your really serious remember Soil Test and Lime...........

Go Hogs!!!

Posted by: lundone
Date: December 21, 2008 10:56PM
I am sure LCX is familar with the properties of lime but for those who have never handled it, if you put it on by hand be sure to protect your eyes well. If it should blow into your eyes it can severly burn them and very quickly and sometimes can result in loss of sight. Be careful.
Thanks for the info on the food plot seed. Will check it out.

Date: December 25, 2008 03:56PM
Before

and after

Go Hogs!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2008 03:59PM by LCX-110.

Date: December 25, 2008 04:06PM
This was the best buck that I got a pic of in the plot.

Go Hogs!!!

Date: December 25, 2008 04:10PM
CW plants food plots maybe he has some tips for us also??

Go Hogs!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2008 04:33PM by LCX-110.

Date: December 25, 2008 04:31PM
My daughter killed her first deer this year she is 5.....

Go Hogs!!!

Posted by: Hunter91
Date: December 25, 2008 06:42PM
I enjoy seeing a kid who has just bagged their first deer. Its just not a good pic without the tongue hanging out:biggrin: Congrats to your daughter!!

"We're burnin' daylight" John Wayne

Posted by: Walleyedmike
Date: December 26, 2008 12:49PM
LCX,

Great pic of your daughter and her deer. You just can't look at something like that without smiling!

WM

Date: December 29, 2008 01:41PM
For those that are intrested in food plotting,on the outdoor channel there is a show called "Management Advantage" that will be airing for 12wks. Their show is geared at food plots they have great tips. I got my DVR set hope you set yours!

Go Hogs!!!

Date: March 28, 2009 11:05AM
Skeeter have you guys planted your plot yet??..........I got one in, one more to go.......

Go Hogs!!!

Date: May 07, 2009 09:43PM
LCX-110
Skeeter have you guys planted your plot yet??..........I got one in, one more to go.......

Guess not.

Go Hogs!!!

Date: May 07, 2009 10:42PM
I have been working on Skeeter's food plots. Gots lots of wheat doing well from last fall and planted some red clover about a month ago. The rain has put a stop to any tilling of the soil for the last 3 weeks or so. If it lets up soon, I intend to kill out more fescue in order to put in some fall food plots. Also put in about an acre of warm season grass. Let you know how that worked out in a couple of years. The first year is always weeds that need to be kept mowed. What did you plant in the one that you did get put in LCX?

Date: May 08, 2009 01:14PM
I have planted two 3/4 acre plots of Alfa -Rack Plus(Whitetail Institute of North America) it is a blend of Alfalfa, Imperial Whitetail Clover, and Chicory...........Also I have two 1/4 acre plots of "Power Plant" its also made by the Whitetail Institute its an annual where the Alfa-Rack is a perennial its suppose to last 3-5 yrs if maintained properly.........I have one of the Power Plant plots in with one more to plant.............I'll get some pics up of the plots........

Go Hogs!!!

Date: May 17, 2009 09:22PM
I counted 10 deer in my plot here at my house this evening!!

Go Hogs!!!

Date: May 22, 2009 11:53AM
Here is some pic's I took the day the plot was planted and the others are pic's from my deer camera........ .......... ................ ............ ........... .............. .......... ........ ............. .....

Go Hogs!!!

Date: May 22, 2009 11:07PM
Great pics LCX. Looks like you have decent soil in which to plant seed. Here we just throw it on top of the rocks and pray for rain with lots of nitrogen!

Date: May 23, 2009 09:04AM
I was suprised when I broke the ground to see very few rocks cause we have LOTS of rocks here in Arkansas, my other plot has more rocks but its still growing good.

Go Hogs!!!

Date: June 25, 2009 02:17PM

Here is a few new pics from one of the plots, the bucks are getting bigger......

A view from behind

Go Hogs!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 02:31PM by LCX-110.

Posted by: Skeeter Jr.
Date: September 22, 2009 08:07AM
Sorry i havent been on this forum much. Jim just got the winter wheat in for the season about a week ago. We still had clover out there. Got lots of mineral sites. There is good sign that they are still hitting the sites. Lots of sign or deer and turkey!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login