Findmall.com

Bow Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
wicked broad heads
Posted by: c.fish
Date: October 16, 2008 01:50PM
I got a deer night before last, nothing special just meat, what did impress me was the rage broad head, I'm not much on hyped up new crap but I've had some trusted friends talk pretty highly of them for the past two years , so I tried them out,the arrow went clean through and preformed as advertised,I used the two blade which left a wicked three in. hole going in and coming out, pretty thick brush were I made the shot so I lost sight of the deer in 20 yrds, gave the deer some time to bleed and went after the arrow and recover the deer, I couldn't have flung more blood out of a bucket! the easiest blood trail I've seen the deer went only 35/40 yrds and piled up . I'm now pretty sold on them, opens up a hole that you could drive ken worth through, also dug a trench through a rib, without damage to the blades ! I should mention also that I'm poor boying it with a 15 year old Jennings bow with a 55lb. draw and aluminum 21/17 arrows, would love to see a faster modern bow and carbon arrows fling the rage at a deer !

Re: wicked broad heads
Posted by: gasman
Date: October 16, 2008 04:25PM
Upgraded this year with a new 75# PSE, switched to carbons, but stuck with the muzzy100 3-blade heads. I have watched every deer fall with-in sight, and havent had any trouble with the bloodtrail either. I have heard all positive reports about the rage, im just to cheap. I might want to sling one at a armadillo, coyote, or irratating squirrel. Them things cost about 15 bucks each, dont they?

Posted by: LCX-110
Date: October 16, 2008 04:35PM
I killed this doe Tuesday evening with a 2 blade Rage-#60 Mathews Legacythe first pic is the entrance and last is exit...It came out the ribs and never bent the blades.........Last season I killed a buck with the rage and he dropped in his tracks I hit him in the right in the shoulder(not in the spine) I've only killed two deer with them but have been pleased........

Go Hogs!!!

Date: October 16, 2008 04:48PM
I shot a small buck and a tom turkey last week. The turkey bent up the blades like a had shot a rock. I would like to hear how they do on turkeys. I must admit, its alot easier to buy something when you hear so many positive remarks.

Date: October 16, 2008 04:53PM
Don't know about turkeys but if one wonders by I'll try to find out!!!

Go Hogs!!!

Posted by: Hunter91
Date: October 16, 2008 08:37PM
Are those the mechanical broadheads that just came out this year? How much do they run?

"We're burnin' daylight" John Wayne

Date: October 16, 2008 09:00PM
The Rage have been out for about 3 years now.....yes it's mechanical....$40 for 3 broadheads:rant:

Go Hogs!!!

Date: October 16, 2008 10:19PM
I guess my main concern would be how they travel. I have always shot the muzzy100 3 blade and have only lost 1 deer. That was a slight error in shot placement. The broadhead was sharp. I hit a tad forward on the front shoulder of a very nice 130+ buck. There was little penetration. He vanished:cry: I spent days with many friends looking for him, over a 3 mile span with no recovery. That sucks! I hope he is still walking around! With my new bow & arrow combo I notice a bit a change in flight, obviously the further you go the worse it gets. Up to 15yrds. "dead on", beyond that the drift right and low. With lots of practiced I feel confident in any shot out to 40yrds. I want to know if the rage is only focused on cut diameter. What do they do if you f'up like I did and hit a shoulder plate. How do they preform on sharply angled shots. Sounds like you guys are the right people to ask!

Posted by: c.fish
Date: October 17, 2008 09:05AM
I wouldnt be scared of sharp angled shots, if the point penatrates the blades are doing damage, the shoulder blade shot I wouldnt try over 15 yrds and that is asking a lot of any broadhead, I know people that dont mind punching arrows in through shoulder claiming its the shortest rute to vitals , but I (especialy with my slow / heavey, large dia. alum. arrows) dont like taking the chance , I expect in a accidental shoulder shot, it would still preform, but the problem being slowed down a bit.
seen a comercial with the rage busting flawlessly through a piece of 3/4 plywood , but they will do anything to get your $ and at $40 for three, I aint doin any testing of my own !

Posted by: crazy1
Date: October 17, 2008 12:30PM
Mr. gasman how many years ago was that? I remember that you also lost a window.:ranting:

Date: October 17, 2008 07:04PM
I just thought all these fine people didnt need to hear that part! Thanks for the reminder Crazy

Posted by: crazy1
Date: October 19, 2008 08:52PM
Your welcome gasman.:crazy:

Posted by: mworley
Date: October 20, 2009 02:26PM
I'm still using the old "Thunderhead 100's" they still seem to do the job fine and you can buy them pretty much anywhere including Wally World. Shot one thru a nice fat doe last week she dropped in less than 40 yards after after a 30 yard shot.

Posted by: fcso1253
Date: October 20, 2009 07:09PM
Wouldn't use a Rage to save my life, I had really bad experiences with the 3 blade models. I shot an antelope at 70 yards with one a couple of years ago and the broadhead was demolished. Chalked it up as a fluke and came home and shot a doe with it, with the same results. You guys can have'em.:thumbdown:

Posted by: mworley
Date: October 21, 2009 03:05PM
I agree with fcso. My experience with mechanical broad heads was all bad. Hit a deer right under my tree stand just behind the shoulder only to have the "Blood trailer" mechanical broad head explode with not much penetration. Same shot with a Thunder Head went completely thru the deer. I think most mechanical broad heads are sold to archers who think they will fly straighter than fixed blades. If your arrows are straight fixed blades fly great carbon arrows have pretty much done away with the inaccuracy that was such a problem with aluminum arrows which made mechanical broad heads popular. All mechanical broad heads share the same reduction in strenght make room for the blades to fit inside the frame work. Mechanical broad heads look real cool and work most of the time but I will stick the fixed blades for putting meat on the table.

Posted by: Skeeter Jr.
Date: October 21, 2009 10:22PM
I am shooting fixed blade broad heads with aluminum arrows, and practicing on my target i havent noticed much of a difference at all. For some reason, the mechanical broad heads have never seem that great to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login