Findmall.com

Firearms Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Deer Jerkey and Sticks
Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: November 08, 2009 03:45PM
Well it must be time for deer season I just used up the last of last years deer meat on a big batch of sticks and jerkey. I've had the Jerkey pretty well down for awhile and I am getting pretty darn close on the sticks these last ones are pretty tasty.

Re: Deer Jerkey and Sticks
Posted by: bullitt
Date: November 08, 2009 05:10PM
Please publish the particulars. The last jerky I tried turned out to be doggie treats.

Posted by: lundone
Date: November 08, 2009 08:22PM
I can attest to the fact that WRUS has the sticks down pat. They are delicious!

" Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither."

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: November 09, 2009 07:53AM
I can second what wrus said. The "slim jim" sticks are a bit harder to get just right. I use a jerky shooter tool (looks like a caulking gun with a tube of caulk in it) to make both. The flat bacon strips are much easier to uniformly dry in the oven. When you change nozzles to make the sticks, I have had trouble with the outside of the stick drying out too much and the inside does not dry enough. I generally use the jerky spice kits from Hi Mountain company. They contain the "cure" and any one of several types of flavoring spices to get the taste you like best. I have tried (and still have) a bag of cure, which appears to be finely ground salt and maybe some other chemicals. It works fine, but I have gotten away from the whole muscle type jerky. The jerky shooter is so much more convenient to use and the results are much more consistent. Somewhere in my assortment of books I have a copy of a jerky recipes with over a hundred different styles of jerky...Looks like jerky is like pizza in that you can flavor it up any way you want with hot peppers, pineapple, mesquite, hickory, apple, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. My favorite is the basic hickory smoke with coarse ground black pepper mixed in.
Here's a lesson I have learned the hard way: when the jerky appears to be dry, let it go another hour or two. It comes out of the oven and appears to be done, but as it cools, moisture inside the meat will continue to evaporate on the surface. If you store it like that, it will mildew and spoil. Been there, done that.
Although wrus and most of us make jerky from venison, you can use almost any meat as long as it is lean and not fatty. You don't need a special dehydrator tray system, but they do make the job easier. If you use your home oven on the lowest heat setting, you might take a look a the jerky drying racks that are teflon coated to make it much easier to remove the dried strips or sticks.
Bass Pro, Cabelas, and probably most other outdoor type stores carries them. The racks are not expensive and will save an oven cleaning later.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: crazy1
Date: November 09, 2009 11:35AM
Speaking of cleaning the oven WRUS:poke:

Date: November 09, 2009 05:36PM
For jerkey I use the High Mountain Hickory and add 1/2 bottle liquid smoke and Japalenos to taste. I always grind my meat and use a jerkey shooter and a dehydrater. For the sticks is use a nesco brand Hot Stick mix and I used 1 lb of high fat hamburger and 4 lbs of deer meat. I also added 1/2 bottle of liquid smoke and japalenos. 200 degree oven for about 45 mins the turn and 45 mins more first time I went longer and they got dried out.

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: November 10, 2009 07:09AM
WRS, not sure if you do this, but if you leave the oven door open slightly it will allow the moisture to escape and you will have a better product.

Date: November 10, 2009 06:55PM
For years I have been taking Italian summer sausage and salami from Simone's in Weir, KS on my bird hunting trips. Simone's has closed their doors as has my backup spot which was Palucca's in Frontenac, KS.
I may starve to death this fall.:cry:

Date: November 10, 2009 08:30PM
Gee, next year you may have to invite someone who can provide such provisions. Assuming someone in my family shoots a deer.

Posted by: hairyman
Date: November 11, 2009 09:37AM
Bullitt,
You might try Schroeder's in Arma , Ks. He makes summer sausage and jerky too.

Date: November 12, 2009 04:42PM
WRUS the bus leaves at 0330 tomorrow. I'm sure this won't be the only trip.
HM I'll give them a try. I need a new source. Many thanks!

Posted by: wallin
Date: November 13, 2009 09:41AM
WRUS is your dehydrater heated-and how long for the jerky, I have one but its not heated ?
I like jalapenos in my summer sausage-good stuff.
Tom

Date: November 17, 2009 08:13PM
It takes about 4 to 5 hrs and yes it is heated. It's a nesco top of the line when I bought it. Got it at BP along with the Jerkey Shooter, best investments i've made in awhile. At the time it cost about what it cost to have a deer processed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login