Findmall.com

Firearms Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Heads up on Lee Pro 1000 reloaders
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: February 16, 2007 05:23PM
I don't know how many of you guys reload ammo, but I have been stuffing cases since 1975 or so. Suffice to say that I have been in the game long enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Thirty or forty thousand rounds can do that for a fella. Anyway, I got a Lee Pro 1000 progressive loader a couple of years ago to speed up production of the handgun ammo I reloaded and shot....38 Spl, .357 Mag, and .40 S&W. The damned thing NEVER worked all the time. It would have a good day now and then, and a "good day" was 85% useable ammo coming out of the chute. A normal day was something in the 60% range. Much of the problem is the plastic primer feed that is just plain cheap crap. Lee's answer to the problem:"Well, sir, if you sand it the primers won't stick and turn up on edge." My answer back was:
"If you went to the trouble to make the fxxxxing thing out of something other than cheap plastic we would not be having this one sided conversation." Fast forward two years: I replaced the small primer system with a BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, FACTORY SEALED
large primer system to accomodate primers for the .45 ACP ammo I am now trying to reload. The first 50 rounds went fairly well...only two rejects, and those were not primer problems. The second set of fifty was another exercise in the futility of trying to get a silk purse out of a sow's ear.....the primers started sticking, turning sideways, and generally being a pain in the ass like virtually all Lee reloading gear is. The only piece of Lee gear I have ever thought was any good at all is their LoadAll shotshell reloader. It takes some getting used to, but it does make good reloads at about half the price of factory shells. I have one that never sees the light of day since I also have two MEC single stage loaders and a fantastic MEC 650 progressive loader that I more or less stole for forty bucks from a guy who could not figure out how to use it. Anyway, I just wanted to vent about the Lee El Crappo reloader. If you are tempted to buy one, take a cold shower, save your money, and get something with RCBS or Dillon on the machine. Lee reloading gear is cheap....in every sense of the word. You don't pay much, but you don't get much, either.
CW

Re: Heads up on Lee Pro 1000 reloaders
Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: February 16, 2007 05:34PM
Don't hold back Bill, tell us how you really feel.:rofl:

Date: March 15, 2007 08:16AM
I have loaded up another 400 rounds with the loader. The primer feed seems to have settled down and feeds OK....maybe one malfunction out of every 60 or 70 rounds. I can live with that. Everything about the .45 ACP cases is bigger....primers, bullets, etc. Maybe Lee just never has found out how to deal with smaller pieces....making me wonder how they came up with the name Lee PRECISION.Anyway, when the Mexican gangs decide to start their rampage in the countryside, I got enough ammo to hold them off for a couple of hours.
CW

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: March 16, 2007 07:03AM
No better than you Air Force guys shoot you'll need a semi-trailer full of ammo!!!:rofl:

Date: May 04, 2007 03:40PM
I do OK for an Air Force guy.......:wink:
CW

Posted by: ohgoing
Date: May 24, 2011 02:23AM
New member here. ant input on RCBS PRO 2000

Re: Heads up on Lee Pro 1000 re loaders
Posted by: XDM45er
Date: June 01, 2011 10:31PM
Hey All
I've been reloading 45 acp for about 6 months now with my brothers RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme -Great press! But it is very time consuming, so this past weekend, I bought a Lee Pro 1000. Very hesitant on this because I wasn't sure about the quality of LEE. The instructions that come with it are very sketchy and limited. After about an hour, I was all set up ready to test run. This included mounting it to the bench. I was pretty impressed with how simple the mechanics are. I was worried too about the Primers not feeding, 'cause I always did them by hand before. After about another hour of adjusting dies and fixing any of the rejects. I was ready, feeling pretty confident in it so I decided to run 50 cases through and time it.
Results:

old RCBS - assuming all cases re sized, de-primed, re-primed and belled. Time on 50 rounds measuring charge and seating bullet with random OAL checks =1hr 20min. Hand measuring with scoop, hand trickler and digital scale.

New LEE - time 50 rounds completely automated (except for bullet placed by hand) and fixing 5 rejects and random OAL checks = 32min

I also had 50 pre-primed for the RCBS that I ran through placing each one at station 2 on the Lee and that took about another 45 min.
So Lee 100 rds in 77 min and RCBS 50 rds in 80min + at least another 60min in preparing those cases.

I did have issues with the primers not feeding on the LEE -after doing some searches on You tube and google - 3 reasons for this

1. Not keeping primers fed from tray- shake it now and then to keep them in the ramp and don't let the tray get empty.
----Watch the ramp as a new case moves to this location -watch for primers to move--then check previous round for powder charge.
2. Powder has dirtied the primer seating area - keep it clean in this area.
3. Press might be slightly out of time.

You tube videos to check out:
sfliberal--- San Francisco Liberal with a gun http://www.youtube.com/user/sfliberal ---Check Lee pro 1000 cleaning series before you buy- see how simple a machine it is.
Lee Precision INC---short sweet and wished I had seen these as I was setting up----http://www.youtube.com/user/LeePrecisionInc

Iraqvetern8888- I've seen several of his Mosin Nagant videos and are very informative, so I'm sure he has something worth listening too.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888

The only issue I can foresee is changing parts out to do different calibers. extra die plates cheap around $9.00 and dies around $40.
My plans would be to get the 9mm dies and an extra plate so changing dies will be simple --the issue comes with the changing the shell holder plate- about $15. This looks like a pain (though do-able). At the price this kit costs I might just by another set up just for the 9mm.

All this in my humble opinion - no xpert by any means.......

Re: Heads up on Lee Pro 1000 re loaders
Posted by: Beerman
Date: June 02, 2011 11:29AM
Thanks for the write up. Good report!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall @#$%& the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with blood of tyrants and patriots" --- Thomas Jefferson.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ---Ronald Reagan

Posted by: johncranack
Date: July 25, 2011 01:54AM
Good stuff on Lee Pro 1000 re loaders . Its really very helpful, thanks for sharing.

hornady lock n load | hodgdon powder | caldwell shooting supplies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login