Findmall.com

Firearms Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Something a bit different
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: September 12, 2013 06:02PM
I try to make the circuit of my game cams every couple of days, and this morning was the day to take the laptop back with me in the Jeep to check the SD cards. As usual, there were a lot of pics, but nothing with any evidence that the deer are moving around, at least where I have the game cams set. However, when I pulled up to the back gate to pull the SD card on the cam in the woods there, I saw something on the ground not far from the camera that caught my attention. At first I thought it was a dead kitten, but the coloring was wrong, so I gave it a closer look. The feet were out of proportion to the rest of the body, and it was spotted, so I am sure it was a very small bobcat kitten. From the looks of the carcass, I'm guessing a coyote caught and killed it.
I hoped that the cam would have picked up something of what happened, but no such luck. Maybe next time.....
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Re: Something a bit different
Posted by: missourimike
Date: September 13, 2013 07:29AM
The killer could also have been a male bobcat. They will kill the a litter that is not theirs in order to bring the female back into heat sooner and then HE can have another shot at fatherhood.
On another note, I've been thinking I'd like to have a game camera myself. I've been feeding the deer here, several gallons of fallen apples, each day. Rather than have them come to the trees in the backyard, I've been carrying them out to the fence line a few hundred feet away. Come the next morning, there won't be trace of the apples. They are mighty tasty this year!

Re: Something a bit different
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: September 13, 2013 07:03PM
Mike.....you might check the Bass Pro Shop cheap store for returned cameras. I got one a couple of years ago from the Cabela's KC Bargain Cave for half the price of a new one. So far it has worked well. I'm sure BPS has one or two in stock this far ahead of firearms deer season.
I had not considered murder by father.....I will take my caller out late one evening and see what comes around.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login