Findmall.com

Firearms Hunting

Welcome! Log In Register
Little bit of a late start....
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: August 19, 2013 09:53PM
All the rain this summer kept me out of the pasture where I have always put in a food plot. In addition to the soft wet ground, I also don't have a working tractor, so I was relying on my neighbor to disc up a couple of food plots. He got involved in some extra hay baling, so no food plot preparation until today when the little light came on over my head. Although the old Ford 2000 tractor is not working, I do have a 80mph discing machine...some would call it a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo vintage 1995. My double gang offset antique John Deere disc may be older than dirt, but if you can pull it around, it does a credible job of prepping a food plot. I somehow managed to get the disc tongue pinned on a bare (no ball) hitch insert and slipped the Jeep into 4wd low and away we went. The only real problem I encountered was that the Jeep is really not designed to be a plow puller, and after several minutes it started to show signs of overheating and I had to stop to let the radiator cool down. Got two separate plots all disc'ed up, and will make a second pass tomorrow with some weight on the disc frame. Fifty pounds of plot seeds, 200 lbs of Farmer's Exchange fertilizer and a little rain and it should be a good season.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Re: Little bit of a late start....
Posted by: missourimike
Date: August 20, 2013 10:17AM
What is it they say? Necessity is the Mother of Invention. Get-R-Done anyway you can.

Date: August 21, 2013 12:40PM
Kind of a jury rigged job, but from the looks of it, I'm going to have a very nice little food plot on the west end of the walnut park. This morning I spread the winter browse seed and overlaid it with nearly 50 lbs of 13-13-13 fertilizer, then I filled the lawn roller with water and packed it all down. Now, if we can get a little shower, it should be up and going in a couple of weeks. By the time gun season rolls around, it will look like a miniature version of those big Alabama food plots that are overrun with B&C bucks.........now the larger plot has to be seeded, fertilized, and rolled and it's just sit back and wait to see how it turns out. The small plot is wheat, Austrian winter peas, and some brassica. The big plot is more brassicas, NZ clover, and fall forage. I'm thinking about putting out some chufa for the turkeys.
CW

"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: Ozarksoutlaw
Date: August 24, 2013 06:47PM
A friend of mine calls his food plot a "meat garden"!!!

If I'd a knowed I was gonna live this long I'd a took better care of myself.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

Date: September 01, 2013 10:15AM
The "cold front" , if you can call it that, is moving through right now. With just a little bit of luck we might get some rain, which would help get the plots off to a good start. I now have five game cams and will putting those out today to keep an eye on what comes and goes out there.
CW

"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login