Findmall.com

Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Redeye Bass
Posted by: lundone
Date: April 09, 2009 06:20PM
Fished the Big Sac river near Hwy 54 today and caught a lot of bass including one 15" kentucky, some small mouth, and a 10 to 11" bass that had broken spots on its side, speckles or dots on its belly near the tail, a bright red eye, and a small mouth. Looked up redeye bass and saw that they had them in the south. Wondered if anyone had ever caught one in a missouri stream. Maybe what I caught was not a redeye bass but am fairly sure it was not a LM, KB, SM, or Goggleye.

Re: Redeye Bass
Posted by: Hunter91
Date: April 09, 2009 08:51PM
Lundone,

I have caught some of those in creeks in Arkansas. I remember that red eye was very prominent. I just thought they were a version of a kentucky. Never caught any big ones maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lb

"We're burnin' daylight" John Wayne

Posted by: OUTDOORSMAN
Date: April 09, 2009 09:44PM
yea lundone, i've caught some kentuckys and smallmouth up on the lower lake that both had red eys and i remenber catching a few of brownies on the james river while floating this summer that had red eyes. i dont think i've ever caught a LM with redeyes. i might be wrong but arnt brownies and kentuckys closer cousins than what they are to LM. could be a cross thing thing since K and SM will spawn and live in the same areas cant genes be crossed while spawn???

Date: April 09, 2009 09:49PM
Date: April 09, 2009 09:54PM
this link is from the mdc, the pictures have smallies and spots having a red eye.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/sport/bass/smallmouth/bassid.htm

if your near one of the mdc facilities the nature center in springfield ect..... they have free magizines that have every fish speices and the pictures are really good and there photos of fish not drawings hope all this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 09:54PM by OUTDOORSMAN.

Posted by: lundone
Date: April 10, 2009 07:46AM
Thanks for the info. Guess I will never be positive since I had to release it, but the fellow with me has done a lot more bass fishing than I have and he said that it probably was a Redeye.

Posted by: bullitt
Date: April 10, 2009 09:29AM
Might be a meanmouth. Its a x between a spot and a SM.
I catch them on TR.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login