Findmall.com

Varmint Hunting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Mole Hunting/Killing My Way
Posted by: missourimike
Date: February 23, 2011 03:44PM
When I first moved to this area from Texas, I found out what mole infestation is like. Couldn't walk across the yard without twisting an ankle. Had to buy a rider mower just to keep from hurting myself. I learned to hate them little critters and started doing research on them. No matter what you hunt, you have to know the "thinking" process of your intended game. You know you don't hunt deer with a turkey call and bear can't be bagged with a slingshot. Smashing their mounds down and leaving it at that only makes them aggravated. Moles will open up the same run, time after time, until all their food source is used up in that area, then they move over a few feet and make new runs. Folks say "grubs are their favorite food", but that's only because their are lots of grubs(17 varieties). Kill the grubs and the moles leave? Nope, because they love earthworms and there are as many as 8 million worms per acre. Moles can hear a worm digging a foot away. Notice how the mole runs sometimes take off in a tangent and come back to the main run? Moles run up and down their runs, picking off worms that crawl into their run and those that are off to the sides a foot away. The mounds are intersections for runs and sticking a hose into them does little good if they have 4 ways to run off. At night, the mounds open up and the moles come out and run around getting worms on the surface.
My neighbor lady once asked "Why do we have so many moles around here?". I told her.."you feed them good, you don't bother them, they breed and make more for you to feed". DUH.
So this is how I do it. I know it works as I have notches on my shovel handle. Moles feed 20hrs a day, make new runs at the rate of 100 feet in that same time span. Early morning or late afternoon is my choice of time to hunt. First, I smash down the newest runs, fresh dirt heaved up overnight, come back to them one hour later. Look for the old run to be pushed back up. Have a garden hose handy, ready to be turned on by a nozzle on the end. The mole will be within five feet of either end of the new run. Shove the hose into one end and move to the other end after a good soaking. Then move the hose end along the run, flooding it and watch for the mole to come bailing out. Smack him with the shovel or like I do, grab him by the tail and hollar for the dog, which gets the mole tossed to the Terrier. Soon, the dog has fun and learns that catching the mole themselves is even more fun! Now, often, the mole will not come completely out and all you will see is a little pink nose sticking above ground, trying to keep himself from drowning. Shove the hose at his butt and he'll come out! You can't "drown" a mole in their run, they will come up for air. If grabbing them isn't for you, shove their ass into a bucket and carry them off to whatever fate you deem correct.
As for the poison peanuts that are sold in stores, you might as well bury dollar bills and spare change. Same effect. As long as there are juicy worms, the peanuts will be ingnored. I do have mole traps that can be buried in the run. It takes two, facing opposite directions in the run, but they have to be buried in an active run. $30 for a pair and results are not the best.
Now, all this takes some patience and practice. Not every deer hunt is successful, so it goes for moles too. But once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy the hunt! I kill an average of 25-30 moles each year in my yard. Most come over from the neighbors after a period that "mine" all gone. I can soon tell if a new one is here and I don't let them get comfortable here. I usually catch them within five feet of our property line. Make a daily walk around, get some exercise, have fun.

Re: Mole Hunting/Killing My Way
Posted by: Beerman
Date: February 23, 2011 04:55PM
Sounds like something good to try to me I am sure pepper will love mole catching since he likes chasing squirrel and opossum and skunks and armadillos! I think a 22 might be fun when you see that pink nose come up too!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall @#$%& the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with blood of tyrants and patriots" --- Thomas Jefferson.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ---Ronald Reagan

Posted by: vtxokie
Date: February 23, 2011 05:11PM
12 guage sounds like a sure kill though!!:suprised:

Date: February 23, 2011 08:10PM
Ammo is expensive and it spoils the dog's fun. Besides, I've run a gun barrel into the dirt by accident a couple times in my past. And watched my target stop and look back at me!:rant:

Date: March 16, 2012 08:50PM
It's March and the mole breeding season has started. They'll be at it until April, then by middle of summer, you'll have a whole new crop to contend with, unless you start hunting season NOW.

Date: March 07, 2013 06:46PM
missourimike
It's March and the mole breeding season has started. They'll be at it until April, then by middle of summer, you'll have a whole new crop to contend with, unless you start hunting season NOW.
OK Folks, it's March again! Time to Kill the Moles!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login