Findmall.com

Varmint Hunting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
AR rifles
Posted by: bullitt
Date: May 21, 2009 08:24PM
Looking for some info on AR rifles. I'm thinking about buying one, and wonder which features are important and which aren't. Also wondering what caliber to get. Right now I'm leaning towards .308. A .223 just seems like a really little bullet to me. I've been looking at the DPMS Sportical. It doesn't have some of the features of the more expensive models, but I don't know if that's bad or good. It doesn't have the dust cover, which I think would be good to have. It also doesn't have "forward assist", but I have no clue what that even is.
I don't intend to hunt with it.
Post up your opinions.

Re: AR rifles
Posted by: lundone
Date: May 21, 2009 09:04PM
Have you looked at 7.62 x 39 cal rifles?

Posted by: Walleyedmike
Date: May 21, 2009 09:45PM
The forward assist is basically a button on the side of the receiver thet you can strike with your palm to lock the slide forward and ready to fire. This comes in handy when the gun is dirty and isn't cycling correctly, or if your shooting cheap ammo that doesn't cycle the gun properly. Another application for forward assist would be if you carried the gun with a round in the chamber, but the slide not fully locked, so the gun will not fire. Hit the forward assist and it is ready to fire. This doesn't create the noise that racking a round in the traditional manner would, so it is a little more stealthy. For plinking around, forward assist is probably not necessary, but it will make your rifle more valuable should you ever decide to sell it. The dust cover may or may not be necessary, it depends on where the rifle will be stored and how badly it will be abused. For law enforcement applications it is needed, for home applications, it may not be necessary. As far as caliber, I guess it depends what you intend to use the rifle for. The .308 may be a little hot for home defense. You run the risk of overpenetrating through the intended target and striking an unintended target. (Not good.) I was recently issued a select fire Bushmaster AR-15 and boy is that fun to shoot! We have always bought Bushmasters in my department, (and Ruger mini 14's) but I haven't heard anything bad about the DPMS rifles, either.

WM

Date: May 22, 2009 08:03AM
Lundone, I had an SKS for awhile and didn't like it even with a composite stock. I do think the 7.62X39 is a good round.
WM, I agree that .308 might be a bit hot to shoot indoors. :biggrin: When I was young I had the misfortune to do exactly that with Grandpa's mod 88 Winchester in a closed bedroom. After it was determined that everyone was ok, it was time to give Scott a well deserved paddling.
I just think that the .223 is awfully puny. Regardless of speed, a 55gr bullet is just at the low end of what I want to shoot.
Thanks for the help on the forward assist. That one had me baffled.

Date: May 22, 2009 10:02PM
I'm really trying to talk myself out of one! Ok, so forward assist is good. I doubt if I need a flashlight. Glass will not be cheap, but good glass is worth it. I can't afford
REALLY good glass and probably can't shoot well enough anymore to justify it.

Posted by: mvardane
Date: May 25, 2009 12:43AM
I recently bought a new Ruger Ranch in .223. I bought it over an AR type because I like the traditional look of a wood stock. I like the stainless/wood combo.
After nearly 1500 rounds, I have no regrets, except that I didn't buy it sooner and stockpile more ammo sooner.

I realize a good AR type black gun is more accurate, and holds it's resale value better. No argument there. But I really like the simplicity of the Ranch. It strips down and cleans quickly, without a bunch of small parts to get lost. It is also very forgiving on ammo types. Cheap, expensive, mid priced, it does not care. The Ranch is also very light weight and easy to handle. It has a very good balance. Accuracy is very acceptable. I shoot 3" to 4" groups at 100 yards prone, but that's me, not the Ranch. I have a low end 4-9X40 scope, but most of the time it is not mounted on this rifle, but on my 10-22. Scopes are not so great for fast target acquisition in tight areas. Unless you spend big bucks on a night vision scope, they are useless at night. Worse than useless. They just get in the way and add weight. Get a red dot. A buddy of mine came up with an inexpensive flashlight holder that can adapt a mag light to almost any long gun. Cheap but very effective.

Something to consider about a black gun in close confines... The sights are so far above the barrel, your aim will be off considerably at very close range. Not that you will miss a 6' tall 2' wide target, but you may not hit that target exactly where you aim. This is not much of an issue with a traditional firearm where the sights are mounted on or virtually on the barrel.

If you need more stopping power, the Ruger mini 30 is available in the 7.62mm. That can also double as a good short to medium range deer rifle.

Can you tell I am a bit of a Ruger fan? I own 4 of their products, and have zero regrets on any of them. The only real big drawback of the Ruger is that they are picky about mags. Mine came with 2) 20's and I bought 2 additional Ruger 20's and a 5. I use the 5 most of the time. The rifle looks much less aggressive without a big mag hanging out the bottom, and I use ammo slower. That makes the day of shooting last longer. It also is more comfortable when I sling it and go for a walk through the woods. I have dropped a coyote and several big fat groundhogs w/ open sights. If I can't hit it in a shot or 2, I can't hit it. 5 in the clip has always been enough. I quit carrying the 20 on walks.

But for close quarter duty, especially in a panic situation where target acquisition is difficult, a good 12 ga. would be hard to beat. It would most likely cost less, and most likely never subject to the assault weapon bans soon to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 01:14AM by mvardane.

Date: May 25, 2009 10:25AM
For me a good pump shotgun is hard to beat for self defense. Since most people don't practice enough to be very proficient, the lighter the recoil the more control they will have. For the money the mossberg 20ga pump with a 16 1/2 barrel is a good choice. Since in close situations the shot pattern doesn't have much expansion anyway, the effective damage incurred by the 12 over the 20 doesn't seem necessary. A good companion to the pump is the 38 revolver. Both are extremely easy to operate and are dependable.

Does anyone have any information on the best brand of AK47s and any opinions about that type of rifle?

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: May 25, 2009 09:57PM
First 16 1/2 inch barrel is illegal. Barrel can not be shorter than 18 inches, but I am sure you meant 18 1/2 so you don't get any visitors from the ATF. 2. the AK is a good reliable weapon, it's the ammo you have to worry about. Bad primers and some of it just plain won't fire.:thumbup:

Date: May 26, 2009 06:41AM
Of course I meant 18 inches. Thank you TT6.

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: May 26, 2009 06:25PM
Hi,

I have a stainless Mini 14 with Leupold glass on top, and love to shoot it.

I also am a big Ruger fan. I have a Deerslayer .44MAG carbine. Nice CQB weapon and a great short range deer gun. I have a Bushnell red dot sight on that one.

If I was going to buy a "black gun", I would buy a Bushmaster.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: August 16, 2009 07:58PM
Well I bought a rifle yesterday. It's a DPMS 5.56 flattop upper on a Stag lower, 16.5 full contour barrel, and a collapsible stock. The only thing I don't really care for is the big honkin' front sight. I'm mounting optics, so I plan to dremel it off. A friend of mine did his and it looks great. I ordered a compact 3x9x40 scope and mounts today.
The rathole money is officially kaput!

Date: August 17, 2009 08:57AM
Bullitt,

Very Nice weapon!

I picked up a folding stock for my Mini14 the other day at the Bushnell factory outlet store here in KC for about $40.

...REELXTC...

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: August 17, 2009 09:33PM
Thanks Gary. I'm pretty tickled so far. The scope and mounts are due to arrive tomorrow according to the FedEx site. I thought that was pretty good service for something I ordered yesterday. Bought the scope from Cheaper Than Dirt.

I cut the front sight off tonight. It took awhile to convince myself to start pruning on my new rifle. I approached this job like a nudist crossing a barbed wire fence...slowly and carefully.:look: I masked the whole gun with the blue painters tape and used various attachments on my dremel tool to cut the sight off and re-shape the stub. Then I painted it with high temp grill paint. I think it looks good, but I'm easy to please.:biggrin:

I took pics and will try to post them tomorrow.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:20PM

Here are the before and after pics of the sight modification.....if it works.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:59PM
Nice Job. :thumbup:

...REELXTC...

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: Tablerock
Date: August 19, 2009 09:03AM
Very nice job !!

Remember, If it ain't broke, you haven't screwed with it enough. :biggrin:

Date: August 19, 2009 05:51PM
Thanks guys. I was just glad I didn't have to go find a gunsmith when I finished.:biggrin:

Posted by: walleyerich
Date: August 20, 2009 05:30PM
Probably a little scary cuttin into a new rifle like that. How does she shoot?

Date: August 20, 2009 08:50PM
Don't know yet. I got the scope mounted tonight. I still have to do another 30rds of barrel break in and then I'll dial it in.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: September 06, 2009 07:21PM
Bullitt......I had a Bushmaster with the short barrel, but with the compensator on the end it is BATF legal. Yours appears to have the same barrel. If yours has a carry handle, keep a close eye on the scope base that fits into the top side of the carry handle. Most of those are made of aluminum alloy and are not worth the effort to put them on. I broke two of them inside of ten shots each. Spend the extra bucks and get the high dollar machined steel bases. That is what the "pros" who use the ARs for duty work use. I avoided the whole situation by getting a flat top. It's much faster on target acquisition and I don't have to worry about shooting steel bases loose from the mounts. Once the bases are tightened, they ain't going anywhere. Son in law now has the original Bushmaster, but
I replaced it with a Rock River varmint hunting rifle in .223 with a flat top receiver, free floated air gauged stainless barrel, and a two stage match trigger. It will do more than I will ever be capable of shooting......probably close to 3/4MOA out of a 20 in barrel.
Most bolt guns won't do that out of the box.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login