Findmall.com

Varmint Hunting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
looking for a electronic call
Posted by: c.fish
Date: December 05, 2008 03:52PM
anybody have an electronic call they would like to unload ? the best i can find for the money is the $99 johny stewart from the big stores ive used them in the past and they worked ok, but i need one of my own , just thought i would ask before i went to bass pro or cabellas.

Re: looking for a electronic call
Date: December 20, 2008 06:09PM
I got a couple of bass pro gift cards for christmas from work so I went to the store and bought the predator call for $99 its the johny stewart with inerchangable cards, I hope to do a little feild testing this weekend.
any one have any favorite/go to sounds or sequnces to call in them dogs and bobcats ?

Posted by: hillbilly
Date: December 23, 2008 03:27PM
i like a squalling rabbit,(cotten tail in distress) a kitten in distress works great too, then when they get closer you can use a coaxer call that squeaks like a mouse to seal the deal if you want to shoot them at close range they have several motion decoys out now that work good too i like the rabbit it spins and shakes alot of times they will see it and come in a run hope this helps. cw is the expert on these things though.. hillbilly

also sometimes a coyote howler works good too

Date: December 25, 2008 09:43AM
thanks hillbilly, i will sure give it a try, and let you know how i make out , might have to wait on the motion decoy till christmas saeson gets back to normal and the wife stops watching the checkbook so close:devil:

Posted by: hillbilly
Date: December 28, 2008 07:58PM
Your welcome c fish also Cass creek makes some decent hand held calls i had the predator one and the crow one they worked pretty good not real loud though id had better luck on the crows than the coyotes hope you all had a great Christmas and have a wonderful new year. hillbilly

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: February 12, 2009 06:30PM
The Johnny Stewart electronic call is an excellent call for the money, but you are limited to the sounds on the card. You can make a "low budget" call yourself and use almost any sound you can store in your computer. First: get yourself a portable CD player....like the kids used to hide under their shirts in school before MP3 came along....or if you have an MP3 player, that will work, too. Next, go to Radio Shack and buy their small 9 volt mini-amplifier. It's off white in color, has an on/off/volume dial, plus a line in and a speaker plug in. Those are about twelve or thirteen bucks. Then get their plastic outodoor horn style speaker and a 50 ft roll of two strand speaker wire and a male 1/8" mini jack plug. Finally pick up a short "patch cord" prewired with a 1/8" mini jack male plug on each end. When you get home, attach one end of the speaker wires to the pigtail on the speaker. Connect the other end of the speaker wire to the male 1/8" plug. Solder works best, but if you can't solder, a good wrap job of the thin wires will do. If you're using a CD player for your sound source you can "obtain" a bunch of different varmint calling sounds from other hunters.....I have supplied several CDs with pre recorded sounds to some of the guys on here and they seemed to work well. If you are using an MP3, you can download a ton of sounds from various websites and load them on your player. So....now you have everything ready to go. Plug one end of your patch cord into the earphone jack of your MP3 or CD player. Plug the other end of the patch cord into the LINE IN jack of the mini amp. Plug the end of the speaker wire with the male plug into the SPEAKER OUT jack of the mini amp and you are set to go. Turn on your sound source and let it begin to play. Then turn on the mini amp and you should hear your call coming out of the speaker.........LOUD! You can get several hours of play out of your MP3 or CD player, and the mini amp will go all day on one 9v battery....maybe more. Total cost for the whole system if you have to buy a player is still around fifty bucks. If you already have a sound source, you can get by with about thirty to thirty five bucks.
Good luck,
CW

oh yeah.....that speaker and mini amp are white.....do some camo painting on them before you hit the field.

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login