Findmall.com

Varmint Hunting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
They do the work, I do the shooting........
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: March 22, 2008 10:42AM
A group of coyote hunters who chase the quarry with hounds has been letting the pack loose out here over the last month or so. Two weeks ago I walked out back with my AR-15 and managed to get off two quick shots at a fleeing coyote. This morning I went back on my 4 wheeler and was sitting at a gate when the hounds started baying on top of my hill only a couple hundred yards from me. I had the rifle ready but when the dogs came down the back side toward me I could not see them. They did flush a coyote out, but the mix of dogs and coyote made it too dangerous to shoot and the songdog made its getaway over the next farm to the south. This is a pretty cool way to hunt......I don't have to call, I don't have to make sets, I don't really have to do any work. Eventually the dogs will push the coyotes to our place with the open pastures and I will (hopefully) see the critter in time to get a shot off.
I had the little Savage .223 bolt gun today, but next time out I may set up where I can see more area, but have longer shots. Then the .243 or even the 7mm mag might get a workout.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Re: They do the work, I do the shooting........
Posted by: LCX-110
Date: March 22, 2008 05:15PM
I don't know what the guys do up there but down here they run coyotes just to listen to their hounds on track they have no interest in shooting one....Makes NO sense to me but whatever floats their boat........They mostly turn their hounds loose at night here, there is a few daytime guys..........

Go Hogs!!!

Date: March 23, 2008 08:09AM
This group lets the dogs track down and kill the coyote. A few years back a bunch of seriously undesireables from up around Cross Timbers started hunting in here, but they would line up six or eight pickups and shoot over cows at running coyotes. I asked them to go somewhere other than the road in front of my house and one of them threatened to burn my house down. I'm pretty sure they were responsible for putting sugar in the gas tank of the pickup I had at the time. The local sheriff and game wardens would do NOTHING about the illegal hunting from the road, but finally they pissed of the wrong guys and the Highway Patrol cleaned them out. Haven't seen them in several years now. The current group rides up and down the road with tracking antennas stuck out the windows of their trucks, but I've never heard a shot. The honcho of the outfit is the superintendent of schools at Buffalo, so there's at least one high school diploma in the bunch. The Cross Timbers group looked, acted, and talked like none of them made it past the 4th grade.
CW

"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: hillbilly
Date: October 21, 2008 10:15PM
Hey CW iam finally back on line been along time hope everyone has been doing well. I need help a friend gave me a Remington sportsmen 512 22 rifle but its missing the trigger assembly, well every part under the chamber is gone anyone know where i may find the parts its a good looking old gun. Thanks Kevin

P.S. They run song dogs around here two cw i just walk to the edge of the field and wait they cross it every time fun shooting

Date: October 28, 2008 08:41PM
Google Numrich Arms on the net. They carry millions of old gun parts.
CW

"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: October 29, 2008 12:00PM
I checked Brownell's and they didn't show it. I usually get my gun parts there.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: December 06, 2008 08:48AM
I saw a group of guys hunting like that over near Clever and asked my buddy what they were doing and he says they bet on the dogs. Not sure how they determine who's dog wins but makes sense to me..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login