Findmall.com

Varmint Hunting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
??????
Posted by: bullitt
Date: August 03, 2007 08:25AM
This is for the old guys like me. I intend to ask Daddy-in-law pick me up one of the 10/22 Rugers that BPS will have on sale next weekend. I have a 4X Weaver scope in inventory to mount on the new rifle.
Do any of you bi-focal wearers have problems seeing detail in the scope through your glasses? I was fiddling with the scope last night and couldn't see the hands on a 9" clock across the room through the scope. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: ??????
Posted by: REELXTC
Date: August 03, 2007 06:46PM
Bullitt,

You're Weaver scope will be fine on the 10/22. The parallax adjustment was probably set for 100yds if it's off a centerfire rifle, so objects closer may not be in focus.

Try it outside and report back.

Good shooting.

BTW: I prefer variable Leupolds on my 10/22's. Picked up a 10/22 Mag and coverted it to a synthetic stock with a carbon fiber .17 HMR Barrel with a VX-II 3-9. Now all I need to do is sight in the thing. It's dificult to see the little .17 hole even with "orange peel" targets. I have

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: August 07, 2007 09:56PM
Thanks Gary. I haven't done any rifle shooting in years and thought I was past my prime!

Date: August 12, 2007 09:14PM
Got the scope mounted and the little Ruger dialed in. I am certainly out of practice with anything that throws a single projectile! Finally shot some 2", 5 shot groups at 50yds. Not very good, but the best I could manage.
I also brought out the K22 S&W revolver, and the redhead shot it very well. Abby even got in on the fun with the pistol.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: September 09, 2007 08:14PM
bullitt....if you really want to wring the best accuracy out of your Ruger 10/22, shoot it off a rest of some kind on a solid base.
The older versions of the 10-22 (I had one) were not real consistent on accuracy. The quickest solution was to replace the barrel (loosen one allen screw and pull the barrel out of the action) with an aftermarket heavy contour. I did that with mine and put it in a synthetic Butler Creek stock and it was a dream to shoot after that. Off a rest at 50 yards it would shoot dime size groups all day long with cheap Thunderbolt ammo from WalMart.....the stuff that comes in the converted milk cartons.
A squirrel at that range was meat in the pot. Somehow my son in law ended up with it, but I will be looking at getting another one to put a carbon fiber barrel on for accuracy work. They look good and are exceptionally accurate. PD is supposed to come up here and do some tree rat eradication with me this fall, so I can't let a rookie hunter outshoot me.
CW

Posted by: bumps2
Date: September 10, 2007 05:52AM
I did what CW said to my 10/22,,,,,installed a semi-heavy barrel and stock from Butler Creek. It'll shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I wish Ruger would do something about the trigger pull,,,,,,I've got shotguns that have lighter pull than the 10/22. And the aftermarket trigger assemblies aren't cheap! I installed a Timney in my Mod 70 and it is so sweet and a reasonable price but they don't make one for the Ruger 10/22.

b2

Date: September 10, 2007 06:41PM
I think it's an operator error issue! I haven't done any rifle shooting for years. I'm fairly salty with a shotgun, but I'll have to burn some serious powder to be any good with a rifle again.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: September 19, 2007 04:55PM
There is one relatively inexpensive way to improve trigger "feel".....it won't lighten the trigger pull, but the apparent effort will feel lighter. That way is to put a wider trigger shoe on the trigger to spread the pull weight out over a larger area. Most competition revolver shooters do that in addition to the trigger jobs and the results are usually very good. A trigger shoe is nothing more than a curved piece of aluminum shaped like a wide trigger with a groove in the back that fits over the factory trigger. It's held in place with a set screw or two. Costs around twenty bucks.You can probably find on at www.midwayusa.com or at www.brownells.com. If you have a well stocked gun store nearby, they might also keep them in stock.
CW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login