Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Last trolling question.. What is the easiest way to tie onto lead core???
Posted by: Guvner
Date: September 04, 2010 12:14PM
I seem to have trouble getting the lead out so to speak to give you enough line without the lead in it so you can tie a leader to it.

Thanks... G..

Re: Last trolling question.. What is the easiest way to tie onto lead core???
Posted by: lundone
Date: September 05, 2010 02:13PM
First some lead core like some I have gotten at Cabela's is almost impossible to pull the sheath back on. Assuming you are using other brands, cut the linewith clippers and hold it about 2" back from the end and push the sheath back a hair and grab the lead with finger nails and then pull the sheath back about 6" and snap off the lead. Use a double uni knot and when tying mono. Use about 3 to 4 wraps on both sides and when using braid tie 5 or 6 wraps on the braid side. If you can't get the lead out you can stll use the double uni but the knot will just be a little larger and if you use a long leader it may catch on the tip guide of the rod.

Date: September 07, 2010 01:20PM
Lundone... You weren't kidding about Cabelas pulling the sheath back. I finally just tied the know with the lead in it. Then the reel decided to lock up after about one color went out. I went to pull the line which seemed like it was laying on itself and quickly broke it. I guess something happened last time I was out that I sure don't remember. Then the steering on the boat started messing up while I was paying attention to the other problem and I sure pissed some other boat off as I got close to whatever he was trailing behind him. Didn't get there but then I noticed only one of my drag bags had deployed. Fixed that but the steering cable was still messed up. So much for that trip. New cables are coming and a re-installation of lead line. Maybe I'll be able to stay straight for more then a few moments next time.

Thanks for the tips though...

G..

Posted by: foggy324
Date: September 07, 2010 05:45PM
I think using a tiny barrel swivel is the easiest.One that fits through your rod tip. Cause I can't tie a uni knot worth a hoot.

Posted by: Hunter91
Date: September 09, 2010 10:24AM
I am with foggy on that. It has worked well for me.

"We're burnin' daylight" John Wayne

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: October 24, 2010 08:55AM
Gary....next time you're over this way, stop by the house and I will give you a hands on lesson on how to tie on those barrel swivels.That is the easiest way. The "prettiest" way is to attach the leader directly to the outer sheath with a surgeon's knot, and with practice you can do it quickly out on the water, but you can pre-tie leaders and put 'em on a lot quicker.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: mworley
Date: October 28, 2010 09:07PM
I just strip the lead out about 6" and tie a regular "fisherman's loop" in the sheath (which is a double overhand type loop) then I use a regular Trilene knot to attach the leader. I have used pretty much every combination of knots every conceived to attach a mono or fluorocarbon or braid leader leader to lead core. You can make it as complicated or simple as you want but the loop + trilene knot combination has never failed yet. You can replace a broken leader in seconds and it requires no lessons and can be done in any weather or condition.

I think Cabelas line is my undoing... oh... I have a also put up a Norfolk Lake site...
Date: December 19, 2010 10:05AM
At www.stlaware.com since my neighbor has consistantly came back with huge stripers from there so I let him run it... He gives out advice on what to use there and knows all of the docks.

Guvner..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login