Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
my Alumacraft Navigator 165 is in assembly
Posted by: rps
Date: May 12, 2010 06:13PM
I ordered an Alumacraft Navigator 165 and it has arrived at the dealer. They sent me some pictures. Depending on arrival of a power extension part. I may be able to pick it up this weekend. Details:

16'8" length
91' BEAM
75 hp Etec tiller
Titan Tiller Steer Assist
778c Humminbird up front, 898 si Humminbird in rear
80 lb 24 volt Terrova with universal sonar and copilot
Promarine 3 bank charger

Re: my Alumacraft Navigator 165 is in assembly
Posted by: Walleyedmike
Date: May 12, 2010 06:17PM
Looks sweet! :thumbup:
I've been real impressed with my (new to me) 2006 225ETEC HO, although I've only spent about five hours in the boat so far...

WM

Posted by: fcso1253
Date: May 12, 2010 06:42PM
Sweet boat Randy....She look good out on the lake..betcha can't wait........

Posted by: Tablerock
Date: May 12, 2010 08:00PM
I think you're going to love this boat rps.......!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"

T. Jefferson

Posted by: walleyerich
Date: May 12, 2010 08:03PM
Looks like a great fishin machine! Cfish has a Alumacraft and he loves his boat.

Posted by: Bob1
Date: May 12, 2010 09:37PM
Good luck with the new boat!

Bob

Posted by: bullitt
Date: May 12, 2010 09:44PM
'splain why you bailed on your center console boat. I always thought it looked like a good way to go.

Posted by: duckguy
Date: May 12, 2010 10:47PM
looks nice!

dale

Date: May 12, 2010 10:54PM
Very good question.

When I bought the Xpress CC, I had children and relatives visiting more than now, leading to a larger boat for runabout and tubing. I was less able to spend, leading to an old school two stroke and its minuses. I thought I wanted a shallow draft for upper river purposes leading to a safe but rough ride. I did not troll much then. I bought a good boat, but one I came to like less. It was a poor handling boat at slow speeds, trolling was awkward, its slowest big motor troll on flat water was 2.2 mph. The combo of two stroke and wide fat, flat bottom meant it wasn't that fast and it inhaled gas. As I fish by myself 85 - 90 % of the time, it was a lot of boat for just me.

Last year I toyed with the idea of a trade. I listed some stuff - things like the good and bad attributes of the old boat and the things I would want to improve. I reflected on all the boats I have owned and rented. From that I began to draw up a new description of my ideal boat. This year I decided to act, and my wife was happily supportive.

Let's look at the new boat bit by bit and I will try to explain further.

First, of the five boats I have owned since 1975, my two favorites were tiller steer. I like the control, and something about it seems like real fishing. Besides that, tiller boats have an open, uncrowded layout. When I fall down, the odds are I will land in the boat. When I do have a guest with me, we will both have room, but the layout avoids that front and back end of the boat that bass rigs demand and the "we are all sardines here in the cockpit" you get on most windshield boats.

The size of the boat is small but beamy, and it will be very stable. The hull shape will make short work of the infrequent rough water days on TR and the more common cabin cruiser and wake boat waves, but it is not so deep V as to create other problems. This style of boat is the easiest to control and steer at slow speeds.

The Etec is environmentally laudable. The 75 hp will troll slower than my last boat, but will still push the smaller rig as fast or faster than the 31 mph of the old rig. Between the Etec and the heavy duty troll motor I installed, I don't need a kicker. The Etec sips gas when compared to traditional two strokes. Neat side benefit: the motor has a five year warranty. The old boat was out of warranty.

As you will note from the pictures and description, I also used the change to radically improve the electronics aboard. I look forward to side imaging and 3D down. A lot.

This new boat will not be perfect. It will, however, come closer than any rig I've owned yet. I think.

Besides, with the sale of the old boat, I will be WAY under 20K into the new rig.

I suppose this all might sound like lame rationalization, but that is honestly what was going on in my head.

Posted by: duckguy
Date: May 13, 2010 06:22AM
rps: let me know how you like your new 898 SI Hummer. I am looking to make that my next investment! Are going to link the two sonars being they are compatible?

dale

Posted by: bumps2
Date: May 13, 2010 07:54AM
That's a nice looking rig. Would you mind telling me who your dealer is and his location. I have a 04 Alumacraft TS 185 and my dealer doesn't carry the Alumacraft line anymore. Might need dealer services at some point.

Scott (bumps2)

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused Novocain during a root canal? His goal: transcend dental
medication.

Date: May 13, 2010 08:14AM
duckguy
rps: let me know how you like your new 898 SI Hummer. I am looking to make that my next investment! Are going to link the two sonars being they are compatible?

dale

I will. For now I don't intend to link. I may do that later. The front sonar I use to jig spoons, drop shot, and determine how far out I am on a flat or point. I am one of those who will admit he actively fishes for bass, although I do throw them back. With a tiller boat and copilot, both long line trolling and BB are operations from the back where I have the si.

Date: May 13, 2010 08:18AM
bumps2
That's a nice looking rig. Would you mind telling me who your dealer is and his location. I have a 04 Alumacraft TS 185 and my dealer doesn't carry the Alumacraft line anymore. Might need dealer services at some point.

Scott (bumps2)

I am dealing with Tracy Boats in Mountain Home, AR. It's a two hour drive for me, but that is less than Kansas City or Hot Springs. So far they have been quite nice. It is a small multi-generation family place that has been open since the 80's. When I was looking, I took that as a good sign.

Posted by: wallin
Date: May 13, 2010 09:27AM
The most important thing about buying a boat is to buy what you want and need, and thats exactly what you did.
I got many a friends that have and love them-I have been 14 miles out in lake Michigan in a friends 18 ftr and it does great.
Built tough and made for the fisherman. You will handle that great by yourself. Great choice on a nice boat.

Posted by: NorthernBoy
Date: May 13, 2010 10:32AM
I am on my second Alumacraft boat. I love it, Tournament Sport 185 with a Yamaha F200. Great for the family. But like all tools, one doesn't do it all. Hope to buy your model boat someday when it will be just me. Had a tiller before and just loved it when fishing alone.

You will enjoy this boat.

NB

Posted by: bullitt
Date: May 13, 2010 12:22PM
Thanks Randy. I was wondering what pushed you over the edge!:biggrin:

The new rig looks great, have fun, and try your best to wear it completely out. It may take me a little time to know who to wave at!

Posted by: Bob1
Date: May 13, 2010 10:08PM
I live about 10 miles from Tracy!

Bob

Date: May 15, 2010 08:09AM
Not this weekend. Part will arrive Monday or Tuesday. Unless my principal allows me to take a personal day or two, it will be next Saturday before I can drive over to pick it up. (This is where I should insert angry, frustrated emoticons instead of swear words)

Re: How is it going ?
Posted by: El Presidente
Date: May 15, 2010 09:01AM
Mike...Hello. I was just browsing the lake stockton website when I saw a post of yours about the AlumaCraft boat. How are you ? Are you still living down here, or did you high tail it back to Wisconsin ?? I remember when you told us on here that you lost your job at BPS when the economy started going south, but have you found new work ( know that you wanted to try to write for a newspaper or magazine) ? How is your wife and daughters ?

The same ol same ol for me. Just teaching and trying to reach elligibility for retirement (5 more school years). Not fishing as much as I used to, but still love it. The Pot Hole is still my favorite place to fish for walleyes, but am looking at buying some property down on Bull in extreme southern Mo./Northern Arkansas and building a log cabin on it. I stayed at Big Cedar in January in theri cabins, and I want to build one just like the one I stayed in on property I purchase if I can find any that is reasonably priced and not sky high. Hope to be a walleye guide down there when I retire.

Well Mike, I'll close here. I hope to hear from you. Take Care.

Steve Johnson

Posted by: Tablerock
Date: May 15, 2010 10:37AM
Ahhhhhmmmmm..........

Steve, Mike hasn't posted in this thread. You might try to send him a PM .......

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"

T. Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login