Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Trolling tactics
Posted by: foggy324
Date: March 27, 2009 02:35PM
I just e-mailed it to you PD.I tried to scan it but it is on a laminated piece of cardboard and the glare just turns it black and unreadable. It basically says if you use a 5 ft. mono leader your lure runs 1 ft. below the swivel. So if the fish are on the bottom , you'll need a dropper length of 2 feet to run your lure 1 ft. off bottom etc. etc.!! It doesn't mention trolling speed, but if you are keeping contact with the bottom , speed shouldn't be a factor, you would have to increase sinker weight at higher speeds to keep in contact anyway. Gregg :shrug:

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: March 27, 2009 04:48PM
PD I would tell you what bank I was fishing but I promised paperboy I would not mention his secret spot. The one that we shared with 4 other boats. I'd hate to see it if his secret ever gets out.

Posted by: bullitt
Date: March 27, 2009 06:08PM
Good one, CW!:rofl:
I tried the 3 way/2 lure deal once. Not something to do alone.

Posted by: lundone
Date: March 27, 2009 09:40PM
We still talking fishing bullit?

Posted by: powerdive
Date: March 27, 2009 10:52PM
bullitt
One of these days I'm gonna get one them with leadcore/traps.

I've always wondered about those, but only for casting at night alongside Rogues (those fish are there to feed...why bother fishing slow?). I have tried lipless cranks for vertical jigging in winter, and they do sometimes catch fish (bigger ones, it seems), but not consistently. Pretty aggressive presentation.

bullitt
I absolutely subscribe to the big bait/big fish theory. I don't have any 900 series Ripsticks...yet.

Yeah, me too, but so far my results don't support it. I discovered the value of a Ripstick 700 on core last year--took my year's best that way. Hope to pull a 900 or two also this year. They should come up with a Deep Diver 1000. Sucker would pull!

bullitt
flatlines - I do a bit of contour trolling and rarely catch a fish on the outside board. I often only run 3 rods and just switch one to the inside when I turn around.

That surprised me a little. We caught a couple off the edges down at Tucker, but it was far better on contour, without boards.

Reel in more customers.

Date: March 27, 2009 10:58PM
Walleyerich, fcso and Foggy, you guys have convinced me to reintroduce the 3-way crank technique to my contour trolling. Great info!

Reel in more customers.

Date: March 28, 2009 08:05AM
I usually run a board up onto the shallow side of the contour, but not very far. I'll let out maybe 30-35 FOL after clipping on the board. That one will usually produce.
I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want is a big bananna style squarebill crank. Let that rascal slam through whatever is down there.
What I need is more time to get dialed in. Today, for example, is not my favorite weather to fish.

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: March 28, 2009 09:16AM
Last time we were down at peal I caught all my fish on big reef runners on a deep side board. I also used the mpt on my trollmaster to entice strikes. If we had gone to that spot earlier in the day I think we could have pulled a huge weight. If you set up the leads right on a three way they are easy to run I would not use two cranks though I'd go with a spoon or rooster tail or maybe some type of crawler harness.

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: March 28, 2009 09:47AM
walleyesrus
Last time we were down at peal I caught all my fish on big reef runners on a deep side board. I also used the mpt on my trollmaster to entice strikes. If we had gone to that spot earlier in the day I think we could have pulled a huge weight. If you set up the leads right on a three way they are easy to run I would not use two cranks though I'd go with a spoon or rooster tail or maybe some type of crawler harness.

I assume you meant MFT (Momentary Full Throttle) not "mpt" on the TrollMaster.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: Skeeter Jr.
Date: March 28, 2009 10:09AM
Who's paperboy

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: March 28, 2009 10:18AM
Skeeter Jr.
Who's paperboy

That's "gasman" before he moved from paper to gas.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: March 28, 2009 03:00PM
walleyesrus
Last time we were down at peal I caught all my fish on big reef runners on a deep side board.

Hey Us, did you run them at "boat depth" or a little deeper, trying to catch the contour?

Reel in more customers.

Posted by: fcso1253
Date: March 30, 2009 10:32AM
Awhile back while vertical jigging below bagnell dam, I fished Gulp Alive right next to a big fathead on a 3/8ounce fireball jig. Minnow 3, gulp 0. Whats up with that.

I am lucky becasue, we stocked an old cattle pond on our family farm with fatheads. Good God:suprised: We have fatheads coming out of our ears now.

Posted by: foggy324
Date: March 30, 2009 12:06PM
Same reason you catch more on nightcrawlers one day , minnows the next time, leeches the next time. If someone really knew the answer to that, I think they would be very,very rich..same reason one person in the boat catches alot more fish than the other person. Other than Wilda she catches more than Terry all the time!!!:devil: Gregg

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: March 30, 2009 01:43PM
bullitt....next time I see you, remind me to give you a couple of the big ReefRunner knockoffs that I got off EBay....you want a big bill, they got a big bill. I'm talking a BIG
Missouri size bill....(that was tacky)....but seriously, they dig deep on small diameter line. You will have to change out the hooks and lose the cheap zinc plated Chinese
junk that came on them, but the lure bodies and bills are pretty decent. They are extremely valuable, but for you, I'll make a deal you can't refuse!:please:
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Date: March 30, 2009 09:24PM
I am getting off of the subject but leeches, are my bait of choice down at TR. They work goooooddd.:happy: I need to catch a few fish on gulp before it has me convinced.

Date: March 30, 2009 10:15PM
Amazing. I drowned a LOT of leeches last year and only caught spots. And not very many of those. The leeches never caught a walleye. I fished them vertically on rigs and jigs. I finally decided that TR walleye didn't know what a leech was.

Date: March 30, 2009 10:57PM
Bullitt, some things just don't fit for you, do they?:bouncy:

Leeches, Risto Raps, Flicker Shads...

Reel in more customers.

Date: March 31, 2009 02:02PM
I never said I didn't weed through ALOT of spots. The spots ate the leeches up. But the walleye caught ate them pretty good as well. Used them on a bouncer with a plain hook up in the James River arm.

Date: March 31, 2009 06:42PM
That's an accurate list PD. Don't forget Gulp!
I guess somebody has to buy the other stuff.:biggrin:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login