Welcome! Log In Register
1 Killed 3 Injured in Boat Crash on Bull Shoals Lake
Posted by: point12
Date: February 26, 2009 09:10AM
1 Killed 3 Injured in Boat Crash on Bull Shoals Lake
By: Julie Stewart 2-26-09

http://www.khoz.com/news.php?viewStory=4083

Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:39 am

Authorities are not yet releasing the names of the victims involved in the fatal collision of two bass boats this morning on Bull Shoals Lake. Corporal Joe Dale Purdom with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Enforcement Division said the identities are being withheld until relatives are notified. He did say all four men involved in the accident are from the local area. The collision killed one man, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Two others were injured. Purdom said one of the injured was taken to Baxter Regional Medical Center. The other injured man was transported to Cox Medical Center South in Springfield. Purdom said he did not know the severity of their injuries. A fourth man who was in one of the boats was not hurt. Purdom said the four men were fishing together -- two men in each boat - when their boats collided at 10:48 this morning in the Jimmie's Creek arm of the lake near the Fairview community. The Game and Fish officer said he did not know at this time what may have caused the collision, but said weather conditions were good with no fog at the time of the accident. Marion County Sheriff Roger Vickers reported the two boats were following close together and the boat in front slowed or stopped and the trailing boat ran over the lead boat. Corporal Purdom said an eyewitness in another boat went to the crash scene and helped the victims get to shore at the Fairview access area. Both boats were recovered there, and are being stored at the Game and Fish boat compound in Yellville

Re: 1 Killed 3 Injured in Boat Crash on Bull Shoals Lake
Posted by: powerdive
Date: February 26, 2009 09:38AM
That's horrid. I think many of us with less than 300hp are in the habit of following other boats' paths in order to avoid their wakes. A good reminder to keep a safe distance and PAY ATTENTION.

Reel in more customers.

Posted by: walleyerich
Date: February 26, 2009 03:27PM
And stay away from CW while he is trailering his boat, or driving his boat, or just fishing in general.

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: February 26, 2009 03:51PM
Very sad.

REMEMBER, TO KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE FROM CW WHILE HE'S TRYING TO LOAD HIS BOAT, (ON ANY TRAILER IN THE WATER). :poke:

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: February 26, 2009 11:44PM
Some people forget boats don't have brakes. I heard there may have been a stuck throttle but you would think they might have been able to steer unless they were thrown, I guess you can only speculate unless you were there. It's a sad sad situation.

Posted by: Bob1
Date: February 27, 2009 08:17AM
Authorities late this morning released the names of those injured as well as the victim in Wednesday morning's boat collision on Bull Shoals Lake.
The victim was identified as 43 year old Russell Dunham of Flippin. Injured were 74 year old Jimmie Gannon of Bull Shoals. He was listed in fair condition today at Cox South Medical Center in Springfield. Also injured was 72 year old Thomas Baker of Yellville. He was taken to Baxter Regional Medical Center where he was treated and released. Escaping injury was 68 year old Earnest Busch of Flippin.
According to accident information from Game and Fish Enforcement officer Joe Purdom, the accident occurred when the two bass boats were following each other. Corporal Purdom said a 1998 Corba Bass boat operated by Gannon was slowing down or stopping when it was struck in the starboard side of the stern by a Bass Cat Jaguar boat operated by Baker. Dunham was a passenger in the Gannon boat.
The accident occurred in the Jimmie Creek arm of Bull Shoals Lake near the Fairview community. Purdom said weather conditions were good with no fog in the 10:48 a.m. accident.
Again, the person killed in the boating accident was identified as 43 year old Russell Dunham of Flippin. He is the minister of the Flippin First Christian Church. Arrangements are pending at the Burns Funeral Home in Yellville.
The accident remains under formal investigation by the Game and Fish Commission.

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: February 27, 2009 09:00AM
B1,

thanks for the update.

Just another reminder to practice safe boating.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: walleyerich
Date: February 27, 2009 09:54AM
I can't help but think that the boat following that struck the other boat was negligent. Even if the throttle stuck - that was just too close. My boat is fast, but I do not think I have ever followed anybody close enough that I could not get out of the way - even if the boat in front came to a sudden stop.

Posted by: point12
Date: February 27, 2009 10:20AM
Bob1
... the accident occurred when the two bass boats were following each other.

'splain that one to me, Lucy?

Posted by: Bob1
Date: February 27, 2009 10:39AM
One boat stopped, the other one didn't!

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: February 27, 2009 11:10AM
It is easy to understand one boat stopped the other one didn't and he wasn't paying attention because he was messing with something else in the boat. done that many times, guess I have just been lucky. I would bet he didn't even notice until the crash now he's got to live with that the rest of his life.

Posted by: Hunter91
Date: February 27, 2009 01:07PM
I have heard of this happening several times. Know of a friend that was in the same type accident during a bass tourney on TR. He slowed down and the boat behind him did not. Ran over him, injured him bad. He was wearing helmet that saved him from head injury and probably saved his life. Some people get lulled into thinking it will never happen to me.

"We're burnin' daylight" John Wayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 03:30PM by Hunter91.

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: February 28, 2009 11:52AM
I almost got ran over when I was fishing at Red Wing in the FLW, my pro almost missed the entrance to the slough we were heading for and stopped real quick we had a boat in our wake that just missed us.

Posted by: Sirmanski
Date: March 02, 2009 01:53PM
It's not any different than driving a car...MAKE SURE YOU CREATE DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU AND THE GUY IN FRONT OF YOU !!!!

Posted by: bullitt
Date: March 02, 2009 07:04PM
There is nothing common about common sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login