Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
NTC Prize structure
Posted by: REELXTC
Date: May 28, 2008 08:56PM
Looks like you have to finish in the top 50 now to get your entry fee back.

Teams 51-250 now only get a $50 Cabela's gift certificate.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/inthefield/fieldguides/Fieldguides_home/ntc_about.jsp?oiPage=fieldguides

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: NTC Prize structure
Posted by: L.W.
Date: May 29, 2008 08:06PM
So you think that mean that we dont get our 3 bills back for showing up if thats the case this will be my last
L.W.

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: May 30, 2008 06:21AM
L.W.
So you think that mean that we dont get our 3 bills back for showing up if thats the case this will be my last
L.W.

Yes, that's correct.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: June 01, 2008 10:05AM
The entry fee (refundable) last year was only $200.....did it go up to $300 this year and the finishers below 50th place only get a dinky-ass gift certificate from the organizer????? Now I understand why so many teams are talking about not going next year if they qualify........sounds like the organizing entity is feeling the financial pinch that the rest of the country is going through. If Rich and I should be so fortunate as to qualify for one of the slots at the end of this year, I wonder if Cabela's will take Club Points in lieu of a check???????????? Parts is parts, as the old ad used to say about MacDonald's chicken nuggets.
I have long thought that all of the "big outfitters" were expanding far beyond what their gross sales could justify, and that a lot of the new stores were in response to "the other guy" putting one up....with the economy going south in a big hurry, all that debt just might come back to bite them in the butt, and the NTC will be one of the first "frills" to go.
CW

A man has got to know his limitations.
"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Posted by: MnWalleyeGuy
Date: June 04, 2008 09:59PM
How much more additional money does Cabela's have to put forth to make you happy? It is like going to Las Vegas, you put your money down and hope you win more than you lose.

As far as the statement "Now I understand why so many teams are talking about not going next year if they qualify", is this a factual statement based on information gathered surveying members of other qualifying clubs, or just a random thought?

Be grateful that Cabela's puts together the NTC for all the local qualifying clubs to participate in. No other company does such an event for the walleye angler. I am sure that there are a lot of administrative costs that Cabela's also incurs with putting this on as well.

Remember, Cabela's does not owe you anything, they put this event together for you.

Posted by: crazy1
Date: June 05, 2008 12:07AM
Good luck to all, And be safe is the most thing. Lotta good teams going up & hope one of you get first place.:thumbup:

Posted by: mworley
Date: June 05, 2008 06:21AM
I can see where in a national championship tournament teams would be expected to place in the top 50 of a 200+ boat field to cash a check. The fact that Cabelas waited until they had already collected the money to tell everyone of this change doesn't seem like the best way to do it. But on the other hand if it comes down to it being this way or no way at all I can live with it.

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: June 05, 2008 06:46AM
Let's not kid ourselves, if Cabelas did not think it was profitable, they wouldn't be doing it at all. That's just a fact of business.

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: June 05, 2008 07:48AM
I agree with alot of what Lee says, $300 is pretty cheap for the chance to win that much money. I think it's a good move on Cabelas part to sponsor this tournament, why not reward the people who support your business.

Posted by: MnWalleyeGuy
Date: June 05, 2008 10:00AM
I could care less about your Cabela's balance.

If you have no vested interest in the event, then what purpose does your post do other than to stir up the pot?

Still waiting for the factual data to support your statement: "Now I understand why so many teams are talking about not going next year if they qualify".

Posted by: walleyerichard
Date: June 05, 2008 10:20AM
Wow, MnWalleyeGuy, pretty sharp criticism there! I think the strain of taking a week off of work, the expense, fuel to and from, and where the tournament is located will have more of an impact on who attends next year rather than the entry fee or paybacks. I, for one, am just happy that there is a championship tournament that I can fish for next year.

Date: June 05, 2008 10:32AM
WALLEYE,WALLEYE,WALLEYE.

Date: June 05, 2008 10:50AM
Good point wr you hit it right on the head for some of our teams this is the second or third year in a row fishing it, the costs start to add up. The reason I probably wouldn't go next year has nothing to do with the prize structure. There are other things I want to do. Unless of course I'm the defending champion.:rofl:

Posted by: mcmatt
Date: June 05, 2008 11:08AM
trackerteam6
Let's not kid ourselves, if Cabelas did not think it was profitable, they wouldn't be doing it at all. That's just a fact of business.

Mike, I have to disagree here. This is a promotional event for Cabelas - advertising costs. Look at the past years. If they returned all the entry fees to participants, and added prize money on top, plus their admin and staff costs, there is no way it makes money.

Cabelas is hurting a bit, so the cut back is not that surprising. The new stores are not carrying their weight, and "same store" sales are down year-over-year for the stores that were open all of the last two years. This is not my opinion. These figures are reported publicly since they are now a publicly-traded stock.

One Crankbait is Too Many, But a Thousand is Not Enough

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 11:09AM by mcmatt.

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: June 05, 2008 01:06PM
I stand corrected, never a problem for me, I've been wrong much more than right, but in expecting the worst I don't get disappointed as often. The promotional events very seldom make money in themselves, but they do support the products that do make money, come on Matt, this is basic business 101. I don have a dog in this race, but if and when the time comes I'll pay the fee, spend the money and have a good time, enjoying what I like to do with people I call friends. For me that's what it's all about. HOOOOORAH

Date: June 05, 2008 02:27PM
And now you know WHY this ain't fun any more. If I read McMatt's post correctly, it says factually what I knew intuitively. No matter. The tournament is what it is, the folks who put it on have their reasons for doing what they are doing. It won't change my opinion of what I think about changing the ground rules after the teams have paid their entry fees thinking the payback would be the same as previous years. The real result will be next year when the guys who get a $50 Cabela's certificate (which costs Cabela's less than $50 when you factor in retail markup) in lieu of the return of their entry fee decide whether it's worth the prestige to go back or not. It may turn out to be a stroke of genius to save money for the company, but this ol' country boy has some serious reservations. Several folks have noted that my moral compass points directly to Redneck.....I take no offense at that. Redneck Rule #1: You have to stand up for something or you will fall for anything. In this particular case, I think Cabela's moral compass and mine are pointing in different directions. I got less than two months left to deflect all the crap I have had to deflect over the last three years. I don't intend to spend it debating something that can't be changed anyway.
CW

"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Date: June 05, 2008 04:00PM
XTC must not be spending enough time there since AJ is working at the other place.:devil:

Posted by: L.W.
Date: June 05, 2008 05:24PM
For once i agree with C,W, They shouldnt have waited till they got the money to change the rules. Just not good buisness in my opionion. As amatter of fact i think i agreed with C.W. ONE other time I just cant rember when.L.O.L.
I do appreciate your work on the website.THANKS.
L.W.

Date: June 05, 2008 07:33PM
I don't think they cut back on the prize fund just re-apportioned it. They are paying down to 50 places I think last year it was only 25.

Date: June 05, 2008 08:16PM
L.W.......I think the other time you agreed with me was when I thought it would be a good idea to give each registered walleye fisherman a US Government voucher for 50 grand to be applied to the purchase of a new boat....purely to help the economy, you understand. If it wasn't for the help to the economy part I would not have supported the idea.:rofl: Really.:devil:
CW

"Dirty Harry" Callaghan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login