Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
walleye fishing near denver, CO?
Posted by: AAACofTriState
Date: June 24, 2007 10:29PM
hello from the denver, CO area, out here for an animal catching conference, but heard that they catch walleyes out here on a lake called McGonahey???

Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Confirmed Walleye Fisherman

Re: walleye fishing near denver, CO?
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: June 24, 2007 10:39PM
Lake McConaghy is in south central Nebraska, but not all that far from the Denver metro area. Last I heard, the lake had evaporated to a small portion of what it normally is. There are some whopper walleyes in there. I was going to take my boat out there this summer and spend a few days with my son in law's brother who is very familiar with the lake. Things piled up and it ain't gonna happen.
You don't want to be anywhere close to the lake on a weekend....the druggies and drunks from Colorado take over and it becomes a very dangerous place to be on the water. Son in law's father is a retired game warden who worked several deaths on the lake over the years.
CW

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: June 25, 2007 06:49AM
Hi,

Lake McConaughy (note correct spelling)

I believe CW has "over exaggerated" the danger of being on the water there. My cousin fishes there a lot and has boated some huge eyes.

Here's the link: http://www.lakemcconaughy.com/

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: June 25, 2007 08:26AM
Denver is a huge metro area and the western states don't have the large and numerous reservoirs that we have here. Lake McConaughy (or however it's spelled) is very attractive to the city dwellers looking for some place to get out of town on the weekend. I was NOT kidding about the dangers of too many boaters and too much drugs and alcohol. Two or three years ago before son in law's father retired from the Nebraska Fish & Game Commission he was called from the Bridgeport area to investigate a boating fatality on the lake. When he arrived he found that a teenage girl had fallen off her water skis and while waiting to be picked up by the tow boat she had been struck and killed by a drunk on a jet ski. Ray had driven nearly a hundred miles to get there, and the girl was long past any help, yet the father of the victim sued him personally and the State of Nebraska for "allowing" his daughter to get killed. Eventually the case was thrown out as being without merit, but the good citizens of Bridgeport ostracized him and his family to the point where he retired, they sold their house, and moved to Grand Isle. If that sounds like your kind of fun, then by all means go for it. My plan was to fish it mid-week, then get off the lake before the Coors crowd took over. I may still go out in the off season if #49 can get me hooked up with some fella named Ron Seelhof who calls McConaughy his home water. This Seelhof guy apparently knows a thing or two about leadcore trolling for walleyes and also does some serious coyote calling up in the Sand Hills north of the lake. Mr. Fellegy wanted to take some time out of his busy spinner tying winter schedule and join us for some catchin' and calling. Maybe this winter we can make that happen.
CW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login