Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Lake of the Ozarks and Walleye
Posted by: husker
Date: January 31, 2007 12:42PM
What is the news on fishing Walleye on the Lake of the Ozarks, Preferrablly the Gravious Arm of the Lake.

The lake should hold fishable numbers of Walleye.

Can someone give me advice on when to fish and possible where and what ususally works best.

Thanks

Re: Lake of the Ozarks and Walleye
Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: January 31, 2007 06:49PM
This time of year I'd for sure head up towards the tailrace or around the mouths of the creeks. If there's any rip rap around Bagnall Dam I would assume that could be good also they are going to go until the hit a barrier then they will stack up somewhat. All our resivoirs are similar but they seem to all have little unique bites that only fishing them will help you unlock.

Posted by: PROV 2025
Date: February 01, 2007 08:11AM
Over the last couple of years I have fished below Bagnel dam both trolling and jigging for Walleyes. By far the best luck I have had was trolling number 5 jointed shad raps in shad color. Now don't get me wrong its not like there are jumping in the boat, but I usually catch 3 or 4 each time I go. The best time for me has been late October. I have tried crawler harness, but you have a hard time keeping the catfish off of them. When I troll I never go past the down stream rip rap on the boat ramp side. When the water is down I try to stay near the middle by the 2 under water islands near the dam. A buddy of mine told me that the Niangua arm has the best run of walleye, and I have caught them while fishing crank baits for bass but I have never went there and just fished walleyes but it is on the calendar for this year.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: February 01, 2007 08:26AM
GD....what are the chances that you might want to "host" a get together up on LOZ at some point? Many of us have never even seen the place, much less fished it, and it would be a great way to get a feel for the waters. The first get together is scheduled for three weeks from now, but the first official tournament is not scheduled until April. If you were to take on this project, you might think about the dreaded LOZ boat traffic and when it starts up, but otherwise it sounds like a great way to fish some new water. Several of the guys on here live in the general vicinity, and could probably pass on some words of wisdom about where, how, when, etc. Just my two cents worth.:biggrin: I would NEVER resort to arm twisting......:rolleyes:
CW

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: February 01, 2007 09:35AM
the Niagua Army from now threw this spring is you best bet. Also a Cove near Camdenton called Windhammer Cove is really good also.

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: February 01, 2007 09:43AM
TT6,

Didn't know Niagua even had an ARMY. :rofl:

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: herky
Date: February 01, 2007 09:44AM
CW, my experience at LOZ says boat traffic doesn't really get into full swing until Memorial Day weekend. You'll have a few early birds before then, but not much. Given the fact that there was some significant storm damage done at several of the larger marinas, this may make for an even longer period of time before the big boys come out. I was looking at MDC 2007 prospect this morning and it states, "Walleye are now well established in Lake of the Ozarks after 10+ years consistent stocking. Although most walleye are caught incidentally by anglers targeting other species, anglers targeting walleye are becoming increasingly successful. Walleye are typically caught on steep rocky points and humps on crankbaits and jigs tipped with either minnows or nightcrawlers." Seems like I've read that before, but one would have to think it's certainly would lend itself to an outing. I have a note into MDC about where and what part of the lake to look for walleyes. Will report back if I hear anything from them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posted by: powerdive
Date: February 01, 2007 12:29PM
TT6 was no doubt multi-tasking--thus building taxpayer value. That's virtually unheard of in his world--a very courageous approach indeed!

Date: February 01, 2007 12:40PM
.....if you say so, PD. I avoid pointing out obvious errors that TT6 makes on the rare occasion because he knows a lot of people who kill other people as their job. He did not get his handle working at the boat assembly plant, so I interpret and let it go......:wink:
CW

Posted by: bumps2
Date: February 01, 2007 02:12PM
TT6,

Think the cove you're referring to is called Windermere Cove. Not sure if I got the spelling right but it's a church related resort/conference center located in the cove. It just a couple of coves down lake from the MDC ramp, on the same side of the lake.

b2

Date: February 01, 2007 03:22PM
Thanks Guys, I had to stop and wipe the tears away from laughing, I meant the Niangua Arm not the Niagua Army. I do have a caution, when you go under the bridge stay on the right or left of the water, there is a rock pile in the center that has taken many a lower unit and it is only a few inches below the water line.

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: February 01, 2007 04:07PM
I don't suppose they could afford a marker buoy.

Posted by: Galaxiedriver
Date: February 01, 2007 05:51PM
coyotewhacker
GD....what are the chances that you might want to "host" a get together up on LOZ at some point? Many of us have never even seen the place, much less fished it, and it would be a great way to get a feel for the waters. The first get together is scheduled for three weeks from now, but the first official tournament is not scheduled until April. If you were to take on this project, you might think about the dreaded LOZ boat traffic and when it starts up, but otherwise it sounds like a great way to fish some new water. Several of the guys on here live in the general vicinity, and could probably pass on some words of wisdom about where, how, when, etc. Just my two cents worth.:biggrin: I would NEVER resort to arm twisting......:rolleyes:
CW

CW,

The dreaded (deadly) boat traffic starts on Memorial Day and lasts all
summer. Every major holiday weekend they manage to kill a few on that lake.

I am not opposed to try to set something up but what do you mean by "host." I don't have a cool Treehouse or anything like that there. Let me do a bit of research. I will see what is happening at Warsaw and the Niangua Army. To fit my schedule it would have to be a Saturday or Sunday between March 15 and April 15.

GD
And Mr. Pike 18 Driver
www.62ford.com/registry

Date: February 01, 2007 08:27PM
GD after Labor day in late September or October might be OK or really early like March or April.

Anonymous User
Date: February 01, 2007 08:27PM
niangua arm "HA HA TONKA" area
last time me and bumps2,"if beer memory", serves me
right, at 54 bridge there was a new condo with boat pier
reaching almost to center pier of 54 bridge. keep eyes open
and approach with caution. that is if you put in at "windemere".
in my opinion, unless you can put in at "red feather" which
is a camp with grass ramp with 5 bucks under the turtle
at the mouth of "HA HA TONKA" spring, where the fish are. you can fish
from there down with a walleye boat. anything above red feather needs a jet. there are ""lots??"" walleye and hybrids there but need jet to
get up niangua river to get to spawning walleye. where they go after
spawn is anybodys guess because of boat traffic.
now if you own an aircraft carrier call me. think i could find some.
tl

Posted by: bullitt
Date: February 01, 2007 10:14PM
Dang, I'm gonna need a decoder ring for that one T!
The only time I've ever fished LOZ was on april 17 and the boat wake was terrifying. I don't intend to go back.

Date: February 02, 2007 08:30AM
Only part that threw me was "under the turtle"...?

LOZ sounds a lot like the lakes back home--overrun with large boats and identically sized egos, with a fishable off-season. The kind of lake that would grow mongo-sized walleyes, if you can find 'em.

Date: February 02, 2007 08:47AM
bullitt....I have one of those secret decoder rings like that kid from the Christmas movie, so I will try to decypher what Terry said....basically, a boat with a normal propeller type lower unit can fish the upper end of the area he describes. Once you want to go back up into the Niangua River past that area you will probably need a boat with a jet pump lower end because of all the stumps and obstructions. My secret decoder strip did not have anything about the turtle, but perhaps it means you leave a five dollar launch fee under the lip of your truck motor hood. If the ramp owner gets there before the local cruisers, then he get the money. DRINK MORE OVALTINE.
CW

Date: February 02, 2007 08:54AM
If you make it past the Niagua Army, you'll still have to deal with the turtle?

Date: February 02, 2007 08:56AM
Oh.....I can deal with that. I got people.
CW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login