Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Question on Mercury Qucksilver control box
Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: July 30, 2006 07:57PM
The boat I just got has a pair of Mercury Quicksilver shift and throttle control boxes. The throttle control on the 115 has a tendency to drift back down by several hundred RPMs unless I keep my hand on the throttle handle. Is there some kind of friction control or tightening screw inside the box that I can adjust so that the throttle setting stays where I set it? The little kicker does not have that problem...only the big motor, and it is a bit of a pain to keep pushing the lever forward every few seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I consult with the little gal who got the motor on the Express straightened out last year.
CW

Re: Question on Mercury Qucksilver control box
Posted by: Galaxiedriver
Date: July 30, 2006 08:52PM
If it's like my 83 Quicksilver control there are two ajustments just forward of the handle pivot point. The upper one is for the Detent adjustment, and the lower one is the Control Handle Friction Screw. I can scan and send the owner manual photo if you want.

GD
And Mr. Pike 18 Driver
www.62ford.com/registry

Date: July 30, 2006 08:54PM
To increase friction, screw it in. Caution DO NOT THREAD THE FRICTION SCREW ALL THE WAY OUT. :suprised:

GD
And Mr. Pike 18 Driver
www.62ford.com/registry

Date: July 30, 2006 09:04PM
The friction screw is labled g in this 1982 Quicksilver manual photo.

Posted by: powerdive
Date: July 30, 2006 09:11PM
I'm just a bystander, but I am in awe, GD. Nice work!!!:thumbup:

I meant to put the bow-down smilie there, but it appears to have left the building.

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: July 30, 2006 09:18PM
:blush:I too am in amazement, especially after I made two useless smart azzed posts.

Date: July 31, 2006 08:57AM
Paul....that picture is exactly what both my control boxes are. I could see the label for the detent, but there was some kind of dirt or dust on the lower one. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks. I should have some friction on the throttle within the hour.
In spite of what our critics have to say, ON THIS OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY, a serious amount of useful information gets passed around on here. Thanks to all you guys for a great first year. Everybody deserves a cold brew. Go quaff one now.
CW
here are the two control boxes:

I could not believe that the two outboards were as clean as they are.
Both had twenty years of built up dust and dried grease, but motors that have a lot of use don't have paint that shines like this:

The boat is a whole lot bigger than the Express. Not nearly as fast, but it is easy on gas and I don't know of anybody who trolls at 55 to 60 mph anyway. Now the E Team can fish in total comfort at Stockton without worrying about wind and waves......

Date: July 31, 2006 04:55PM
CW,

Looks like a very seaworthy rig. Congrats!! Glad I could help a bit. :cheers:

GD
And Mr. Pike 18 Driver
www.62ford.com/registry

Date: July 31, 2006 05:11PM
Thanks, Paul....you may have one of the last of the "real" Lund boats. While at Center City last week, they mentioned that the good folks at Lund had been bought out by AMF, that great buying machine. I remember when AMF acquired Harley Davidson back in the mid-80's and what happened to that fine old company afterwards. I hope the same thing does not happen to Lund, but a bowling ball company would not be my choice of knowlegeable people to run a boat company. Know what I mean, Vern???????
CW

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: July 31, 2006 06:23PM
CW,

The aluminum boat lines from Genmar Inc., that included LUND and Crestliner, were purchased by Brunswick (a.k.a. Mercury Marine) a couple years ago.

I met with Larry Luvold the President of LUND two years ago the night before he made the announcement at the MSP Northwest Sport Show.

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: July 31, 2006 08:46PM
The guy at Center City must have been thinking of something else. He did say "bowling ball company", and there is a Brunswick company that makes high dollar billiards tables. At least the boats won't be made from melted down bowling pins. Thanks for the correction.
CW

Date: July 31, 2006 08:58PM
Actually you were right cw, it is the same brunswick corp that bought out amf and mercury and anything else general foods hasn't bought out. I believe they are a canadian company but I could be wrong.

Date: July 31, 2006 09:04PM
Oh....so we might be seeing Lund boats made out of melted down bowling balls and pins??????? It would be a good thing to just take the corporate profits from Lund and let them keep doing what they do best....make great boats. On the way back from South Dakota I passed a lot of boats on I-90 and on I-29....it would be a safe bet to say that 90 per cent of those boats were Lunds. Only one Tracker that I recall, and a few Rangers. The rest were Lunds. In South Dakota, I think EVERY rig I met was a Lund.
CW

Date: July 31, 2006 09:12PM
Be carefull what you say about Brunswick they are Johnny Candles boat sponser as they also own crestliner. Just as the flw is highly balanced toward ranger owners with yammies and evinrudes, the pwt makes more sense for lund and mercury owners.

Date: July 31, 2006 09:29PM
coyotewhacker
Thanks, Paul....you may have one of the last of the "real" Lund boats. While at Center City last week, they mentioned that the good folks at Lund had been bought out by AMF, that great buying machine. I remember when AMF acquired Harley Davidson back in the mid-80's and what happened to that fine old company afterwards. I hope the same thing does not happen to Lund, but a bowling ball company would not be my choice of knowlegeable people to run a boat company. Know what I mean, Vern???????
CW

AMF?.....Had members of the Davidson family not bought it back from AMF the great Harley Davidson company would be no more. I don't own one but I can't imagine a world without Harley Davidson motorcycles.
Quality meant nothing to AMF.

GD
And Mr. Pike 18 Driver
www.62ford.com/registry

Date: August 01, 2006 08:00AM
Yep....it was a great day when the employees bought the company back and Willie G took over as the designer. When the company went public, they rode onto the floor of the New York Stock Exchange on those rumbling Hogs and got a wild, standing ovation. I always wanted one, but somehow ended up with a rice burner. Kinda like the guy in the ads who was admiring a Harley being fueled up and told the owner he had to choose between a Harley and a killer dinette set.....
CW

Posted by: REELXTC
Date: August 01, 2006 08:27AM
CW,

Guess it was the dinette set for you. :spin:

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: MnWalleyeGuy
Date: August 01, 2006 08:33AM
Definitely looks that way......

Posted by: powerdive
Date: August 01, 2006 09:23AM
Okay, MWG, enough of this sidebar crud. Tell us how the fishing trip is going or went!

Date: August 01, 2006 10:59AM
Yeah, but it's a KILLER dinette set......nice slick plastic upholstery, chrome plated chair legs and a synthetic wood insert that lets me expand the table to hold six when we have company. Betcha that Harley Lowrider can't do that!
CW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login