Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Slip bobber fishing
Posted by: powerdive
Date: May 25, 2006 12:02PM
If you ever look for one, the correct term for the clip-on weight is a plummet.

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: May 25, 2006 12:10PM
I simply cannot believe that a precision ten dollar device from WalMart is not accurate enough to position a lively crawler or leech within a foot to a foot and a half off the bottom. What is this world coming to?

Of course, this is the high tech version with microchip speaker in the lower right hand corner. It senses the amount of line out, takes feedback through the line and tells me to let more out or reel in to attain a pre-determined height above bottom. The solar charger is over on the side to keep the battery hot. I think I should quit now while I am ahead....................

Posted by: walleyesrus
Date: May 25, 2006 12:45PM
I always called them a depth finder but I guess that translates to plummit in cheesehead. I'm going to contact Mr Morris about a special catalog for you to work on so I can catch up on posts, I'm being forced to work and I'm getting behind.

Posted by: steve fellegy #49
Date: May 25, 2006 08:04PM
Caught about 2 dozen walleyes on slip-bobbers today!

Basically, slip-bobbers are used as a vertical presentation that is utilized when the fish are too spooky(shallow) to vertical fish from the boat. Simply....the bobber replaces YOU as the rod holder. Also...when wanting to vertical fish on deep fish but boat control is tough due to wind or the like, this makes for a good choice. Of course, because you "set" the depth, FLAT bottem is a must.

As Terry says...the video offers a few bobbering tips and relative boat control/anchoring aspects of it.

Details?? Feel free to call. I can be harder to catch than ten pound walleyes so leave your # and I WILL get back to you....when I get home. 218-678-3103

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2006 08:07PM by steve fellegy #49.

Date: May 26, 2006 07:18AM
Now if that doesn't get everybody fired up about slip bobber fishing, I can't imagine what will. One question for you, Steve: the thermocline at Stockton has set up around the 23 foot level. The local walleye guide stated that the fish are staying below that level due to the higher water temperature of the upper layer. Would you think suspending live bait down to 24-28 feet would work well under the bobbers?
CW

Date: May 26, 2006 11:08AM
Eyesrus, we used to call 'em depth finders also, until the Iowans started copying us.

CW, we've fished 'em deeper than that. BUT... The problem at those depths is getting a good hookset.

Date: May 26, 2006 12:54PM
AllStar stiff action worm rod + Fireline should solve most of that problem. That combo pretty much passes along every sensation that can be felt at reasonable depths. I also have a fondness for that Johnny Morris Signature rod your employer so kindly let fall into my hands last year. I'm like Sam Cooke in "Another Saturday Night"..."if I could find 'em, I could get 'em. But yet I haven't met 'em. That's why I'm in the shape I'm in." :cry: :wink:
CW

Posted by: Bob1
Date: May 26, 2006 04:48PM
CW, I do not think that is why you are in the shape your in! Put down the dern fork!!!!

Bob

:rofl::rofl::rofl::cheers:

Date: May 26, 2006 04:58PM
Stockton is a big lake, and very, very, very deep. CW has a long memory. Just ask....no, he's not been seen in a year or more. OK..check with..no, he's been missing for a while, too.
CW

Date: May 26, 2006 07:11PM
No matter the depth...on bottem or suspended. Put it in front of them and they might eat it.

Hook setting is VERY over-rated! Hook only has to move a half inch. 30-40ft. of water with bobbers is just fine for moving the hook less than an inch! Use a 1/32 oz. jig and it will be gone in the fishes stomach in a heartbeat.

Date: May 26, 2006 07:38PM
Respectful correction: The problem for US, in deep water, using lip-hooked non-quickstrike chubs from an anchored boat on windy days, has been getting a good hookset. Probably not a big deal with leeches due to hook gap.

Posted by: Jim Carroll
Date: May 28, 2006 01:15PM
Bill...Devils Lake requires special tactics for bobber fishing. It's mostly combat fishing in heavy wood and you need to be able to put pressure on the big fish to get them out of that stuff, or it's goodbye to Mr. Walleye. I use 14lb. flame green FireLine tied to a barrel swivel with an 18" leader of 15lb Berkley Vanish leader material to the jig/hook. Heavy stuff, yes, but necessary for success. Johnnie caught a nice fish during the tournament that he had to winch out of the water over the top of a tree limb to net it, and light mono just doesn't work in situations like these. I believe Johnnie uses 20lb. Spider Wire Stealth on his bobber rods.

I filmed a show with Kavajecz for the Next Bite TV on bobbering DL before the PWT event and we caught some nice fish that show the techniques I use to bobber at DL. Show will be seen in the 2007 season.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Posted by: BiteMe
Date: May 28, 2006 01:28PM
Looking forward to the hand to fin combat! By the way nice solid finishes at your first two events this year!

Bill Ackermann
The BiteMe Tracker
http://www.mid-southwalleyes.com

Date: May 28, 2006 01:47PM
Let me second BiteMe's congrats on two solid finishes. Keep up the good work.
CW

Date: May 28, 2006 02:34PM
Hey JC #13, what kind of bobber stops do you and Johnnie use?

Thanks, Bob

Date: May 28, 2006 09:19PM
I know...I know....I know.....I know....uh huh, uh huh! Think thread, Bob. And a glass bead, not plastic. Apparently plastic beads can hang up on the line and keep the bait from descending all the way down. Being a cheap guy, I will have to live with the hard plastic beads this time around. If WalMart has any tiny glass seed beads in the craft section, we may be in luck. Otherwise I will take my chances on the little red thingies that came with the pre-tied thread stops.
CW

Posted by: Jim Carroll
Date: May 29, 2006 09:32AM
Bob...Johnnie and I both use the Today's Tackle Wave Buster bobber and the thread bobber stops that come in the package. No beads are necessary with this bobber when tying directly to the jig. I DO however, use a bead with the DL rig described above to keep the swivel from getting stuck in the line slot of the bobber. Hope this helps some. Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Date: May 29, 2006 01:03PM
Thanks Jim! BTW, what size and type of jigs do you usually use for bobber fishing?

Bob

Date: May 29, 2006 01:16PM
Got ya covered for jigs, pardner. And this time it is not the tried and true KC Pimp jigs. Those are reserved for upper BS when fishing with live shiners. These are normal wide mouth Northland rattlin' jigs which look to be about 1/8 oz.
CW

Date: May 30, 2006 06:59AM
Generally, jig size for under bobbers is 1/16th or 1/32nd oz. Nothing fancy.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login