Findmall.com

Walleye Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Slip bobber fishing
Posted by: BiteMe
Date: May 24, 2006 01:06PM
Anyone care to discuss the ins and outs of slip bobber fishing? I have never done it and may very well be doing it in a couple weeks on Devils Lake. I would like to look smarter than I actually am...:nerd:

Bill Ackermann
The BiteMe Tracker
http://www.mid-southwalleyes.com

Re: Slip bobber fishing
Posted by: REELXTC
Date: May 24, 2006 02:22PM
BiteMe,

I've done quite a bit of slip bobber fishing on the rock reefs of Mille Lacs up North.

One of the key considerations is to use light line, preferably 4lb test. If you're going to use heavier line, use a #18 barrel swivel to attach a leader of 4 lb test. I use a Thill balsa bobber with a 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig. Attach a split shot a foot or two above the jig so the bobber barely floats and is easily pulled under with the least possible resistance. If you get snagged and break off the split shot keeps you from losing the bobber.

I use 8' Cabela's XML med-light spinning rods for slip bobber fishing. Once the bobber goes under, reel up any slack and make a sweeping hook set to take the rest of the slack out of the line. A 8' rod helps in that category.

We can discuss the fine art of slip bobber fishing over a refreshing adult beverage at the TREEHOUSE next weekend before the tournament.

I've caught walleyes in 3' of water and in 30' of water using slip bobbers. It's a deadly technique during the day or at night with lighted bobbers!!

...REELXTC...

LUND PRO-V 2025 IFS POWERED BY YAMAHA

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2006 02:23PM by REELXTC.

Date: May 24, 2006 02:23PM
Thanks CW, I would like to borrow that book. I have quite a selection of bobbers I bought on eBay and picked up some of the thread and small bead stops at Cabela's.

Bill Ackermann
The BiteMe Tracker

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: May 24, 2006 02:32PM
Bill, REELXTC has it down pat. it's an easy way to consistantly get your bait to the depth you want and keep it there. I've used it with baitcasters and spiining reels. I use it alot for white bass and hybrids using jigs and minnow or jig and gulp.

Date: May 24, 2006 02:43PM
I allways lern beter ober adut beverageeses...

Bill Ackermann
The BiteMe Tracker

Posted by: crazy1
Date: May 24, 2006 04:32PM
Oh my Bite Me hope you don't this evening.:devil:

Posted by: crazy1
Date: May 24, 2006 04:33PM
I missed a word the dreaded WORK

Posted by: coyotewhacker
Date: May 24, 2006 05:54PM
TT6....I'm not sure what to make of your opening sentence about REELXTC. I hope you mean that REELXTC has perfected the slip bobber fishing method. Otherwise that is a double entendre of the highest order. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
CW

Anonymous User
Date: May 24, 2006 07:42PM
contact steve #49 he has a video (i have one)
he goes into great deatail on slip bobbers and boat control.
if you want to learn the right way contact #49
tl

Posted by: bullitt
Date: May 25, 2006 06:07AM
Good thread, Bill. I've been wondering about that also.
If fishing in deep water do you actually wind the thread/bead onto the spool? Will it cast like that?
Sounds like a Yankee thang and IB ignernt of it but I'm willing to learn.

Posted by: trackerteam6
Date: May 25, 2006 06:49AM
Yes CW I was refering to his slip bobber instructions.

Posted by: powerdive
Date: May 25, 2006 07:18AM
Bullitt--yes, you wind the thread onto the spool of your reel. The bobber stop is tiny and goes right thru--that's the whole deal, so you can fish deeper and cast farther. You can set and readjust the stop to any depth you want; if you want your bait to hover 7 inches off bottom, no problem. It's a great system for when you have 'em pinned down to a specific spot or for tough conditions where a stationary or super-slow presentation is needed and you want to hang a live bait right in the fish's face. (In places like Devils Lake, where walleye populations are high, some guys have been known to use Gulp or Slimers instead of live minnows or leeches, with good results.) You can dangle your bait in the spot-on-the-spot, or let the wind slowly drift your bait through key terrain.

The system works best with monofilament on your main line. There are several different types of bobber stops available; everybody has their favorite. I use the dacron thread type also.

However, you'll need one other thing that seems to be in pretty short supply on the boats around here: an anchor.

Date: May 25, 2006 07:23AM
Whew! For a minute there I thought we might be facing the wrath....never mind. The slip bobber itself slides freely along your main casting line. The depth the bait is allowed to drop to is controlled by any one of two or three methods: (1)a hard rubber bead which is generally matched to line size, i.e. the hole in the center is bigger for higher test line, (2) a small plastic bead that slides freely on the line, but is stopped by a thread wrap that is prepared on a small plastic tube, the line is threaded through the tube and the thread pushed off toward the bead (away from the lure end of the fishing line) and the thread ends tightened to snug the wrap onto your line. In all the methods, the bead is generally small enough to easily pass through your line guides without hanging up. This enables you to cast your bait out without having the float and a long amount of line out, which is a real pain to try to cast. I have several extra line stops in my stuff, and can probably find a bobber or two around. Remind me at the tournament and I will pass one along to you.
It is not unlike light jig fishing for crappie....find the depth the fish are at and set the stop to allow your bait to drop through the bobber to that depth. The bait dangles enticingly right in front of their noses. Not only does it catch walleyes, it saves a buck or two on gas since you are normally drifting or anchored in one place.
CW

Date: May 25, 2006 07:31AM
I'm with PD, use the thread nail-knot bobber stops if you need to reel the bobber-stop on to your reel. The small rubber ones hang up the line when you try to cast if they're on the reel.

Speaking of anchors, I prefer the Carlson WaterSpike with 8' of chain and 200' of anchor rope for fishing the reefs.

...REELXTC...

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: May 25, 2006 07:39AM
When rigging up, you'll want to weight your line properly so the bobber sits just below its waterline (natural balance point), to avoid catching too much wind and to minimize any resistance the fish might feel when he sucks in that bait. You don't want it riding too high. XTC uses a jig, but I'm sure he will change jig size to match bobber size, and he will change bobber size to match the wind. I prefer to use a plain hook and a couple of split shot above. I use Aberdeens in snaggy water, ring eyes the rest of the time.

One of the tricks they use on open, windy Mille Lacs is to set the depth slightly DEEPER than the actual water depth. This way, you can drag or tick the bottom even though the wind is pushing the bobber quickly.

If you're fishing current, it's a great way to follow a seam or cover an eddy also.

Date: May 25, 2006 07:49AM
Let's be careful here....it's starting to look like real, useful information is being bandied about. Maybe we should consider an educational session on slip bobbers at one of the meetings before long. It really is an under utilized method around here. And given the cost of trolling gas more guys would try it if they knew about it.
CW

Date: May 25, 2006 08:39AM
How about techniques for setting your depth, I guess if the bobber is falling over you are a little too deep...

Bill Ackermann
The BiteMe Tracker

Date: May 25, 2006 09:27AM
I use an ice fisherman's depth bomb--just a heavy weight (1 oz.?) with an alligator clip attached. Clip it to your hook, drop it to the bottom and slide the bobber stop to where it needs to be--say, 7 inches under the surface on a tight line. Reel up, remove the weight, bait up and cast--your bait will dangle 7 inches above the bottom.

A heavy walking sinker (sled type) works just as well for setting the depth--just run the hook thru the eye.

Date: May 25, 2006 11:37AM
I have one of those removeable Shakespeare line counter things that attaches to the rod above the handle. It is pretty handy for setting the depth on a rod, then moving it over to the next one, etc. They are available at your local SuperCenter for around ten bucks. One should be enough to cover all your rods.
CW

Date: May 25, 2006 11:42AM
CW,

Nice idea, but not nearly accurate enough to set a slip bobber depth.

You normally want the bait within 12-18" of the bottom, and the only way to do that accurately is with a clip-on weight as PD described.

...REELXTC...

NPAA #547

<*}}}}}}><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login